System DSN doesn't show up in ODBC Window

System DSN doesn't show up in ODBC Window

Post by Jfreak » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:52:16

I have gone through all the steps of creating a System DSN
up to and including a successful 'test connection', but
when I click OK, it doesn't show up in the window of
System DSNs?

I'm running W2K Pro SP2

System DSN doesn't show up in ODBC Window

Post by Bob Pfeiff [MS » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 05:41:36

Can you see the entry for the newly-created DSN in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBC.INI?  It should show up there after
you create it, that's where the ODBC Administrator tool reads it from.

--
Bob
Microsoft Consulting Services

1. DSN doesn't show up sometimes

I am an administrator on a Win2K server.  I have created a DSN for use through
ASP pages on the IIS server on the same machine.  When I attempt to access the
ASP page via the website, the ASP page successfully opens the connection and
returns the expected results.

When a non administrator attempts to access this machine, the ASP page cannot
open the connection to the database (datasource name not found).

This happens on some of our machines.  It seems that the Win NT server that was
upgraded to 2000 does not behave this way but the fresh/clean install 2000 box
does behave this way.

If I make the individuals who are attempting to access the site administrators
then they connect fine.

I am using windows authentication on the IIS as the security method.

If I do not use the DSN and instead put the connection string on the connection
object directly I do not see this problem.

What is the deal and how can I get these people to access a DSN w/o making them
an admin?

Thanks,
Kevin J Goff

2. Nettype

3. ODBC not showing in system DSN

4. NT Permissions for Oracle database

5. SYSTEM DSN DOES NOT SHOW UP IN ODBC ADMINISTRATOR

6. Upgrade/Lightining Bolt

7. Aggregate function problems...

8. ODBC doesn't use DSN Login ID/Password for SQL

9. sp_attached db doesn't show up in ODBC database list

10. Help:ODBC Data Source Admin doesn't show Names of new Data Sources

11. ODBC System DSN on windows 2000

12. System DSN vs File DSN's