Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Steve Harclerod » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:17:25

Hi,

I'm trying to install SQL Server 2000 on a laptop running Windows 2000
Professional. I installed it on another laptop fine, but on this one, it
says that it can't install the server software on this operating system.
When I run the install, it only allows me the options to install the client
programs.

Does anyone know if there's a workaround for this?

Thanks,

Steve Harclerode

Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Jasper Smit » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:29:14

You need to make sure you are installing the Personal
Edition which is on the second SQL Server CD (or Developer
Edition if you have it). You can't install Standard
Edition on Win2k Pro which is what the error message is
indicating.

HTH
Jasper Smith

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I'm trying to install SQL Server 2000 on a laptop running
Windows 2000
>Professional. I installed it on another laptop fine, but
on this one, it
>says that it can't install the server software on this
operating system.
>When I run the install, it only allows me the options to
install the client
>programs.

>Does anyone know if there's a workaround for this?

>Thanks,

>Steve Harclerode

>.

Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Steve Harclerod » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:05:22

Thank you, I'll try that.

- Steve

Quote:> You need to make sure you are installing the Personal
> Edition which is on the second SQL Server CD (or Developer
> Edition if you have it). You can't install Standard
> Edition on Win2k Pro which is what the error message is
> indicating.

1. Cannot install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows 2000 Professional

After selecting "SQL Server 2000 Component" link, I got
the following popup error message.
"Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition server
component is not supported on this operating system. Only
client components will be available for installation."

Can anyone give me a clue ? I do not have any old SQL
Server software installed on my notebook, nor SharePoint
Portal or SharePoint Team Services installed.

Appreciate the help.

2. OK-OKLAHOMA CITY-19251--ORACLE-RDBMS-Oracle DBA's

3. Unable to Install SQL Server 2000 on windows 2000 Professional

4. Distributing Access97 ODBC driver

5. linked servers with windows 2000 professional/sql server 2000

6. UIEE/MSG format?

7. installing SQL Server 2000 in windows 2000 OS through Telnet problem

8. Experience in exporting big things to Excel?

9. Problem Installing SQL 7 on Windows 2000 Professional

10. D3 printing errors under Windows 2000 server and Windows 2000 professional

11. Can U install SQL Server 7.0 enterprise edition on a windows 2000 Professional machine

12. Installing MSDE 2000 on windows 2000 professional

13. SQL Server 2000 vs IIs on Windows 2000 Professional