Newbie : MS SQL 6.5 vs Sybase SQL anywhere

Newbie : MS SQL 6.5 vs Sybase SQL anywhere

Post by Snerc » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

This might be me just confusing things, but here's the problem :

Our application has been using SQL Anywhere for a while for database
purpouses, and now also MS SQL Server 6.5.
With SQL Anywhere, we used transaction based replication between
numerous sites (ships), with one consolidated database (main office).
All of the sites are working on the data, erasing, updating and
inserting as they see fit. The transactions are sent via email, and
applied at the consolidated db, which also edits/inserts data.
The problem is : I can't get this to work with MS SQL server. Even
though the application handles the id's of the rows for replication
purpouses, MS SQL seems to insist on doing an insert, even thought
there was an update to an existing row, thereby causing errormessages
to fly left and right.

Is it me, or does MS SQL server handle this sort of replication, or do
you have to maintain what is replicated from the consolidated database
as read only?

Cheers!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Newbie : MS SQL 6.5 vs Sybase SQL anywhere

Post by Michael Hote » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

6.5 was never designed to handle disconnected users like you have.  It wants
to have the subscriber be read only.  If you are doing updates on a table
that has a foreign key, you run a very high likelihood that this will be
turned into a delete/insert pair.  This is a major PITA and I still haven't
gotten an acceptable answer as to why there is even a difference with
updates (deferred/in place).  i don't care what is happening under the
covers, but it really screws up replication when a delete/insert gets
written to the tran log instead of the update that was sent.  The only
suggestion I can make is to utilize custom replication procs which is an
even bigger pain.  You'll either want to switch entirely to SQL Anywhere to
accomplish what you are doing or utilize the not for replication option on
the foreign keys.  You'll also want to start looking into SQL Server 7.0, if
possible, and merge replication.

--
Mike
Product reviews: http://www.mssqlserver.com/products

Newbie : MS SQL 6.5 vs Sybase SQL anywhere

Post by Tony Rogerso » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You really ought to look at Version 7.0 that has been available since the
beginning of this year. Merge replication would be ideal and simple to set
up.

--
Tony Rogerson MCP, SQL Server MVP
www.sql-server.co.uk [ Dedicated site to MS SQL Server -

Quote:> This might be me just confusing things, but here's the problem :

> Our application has been using SQL Anywhere for a while for database
> purpouses, and now also MS SQL Server 6.5.
> With SQL Anywhere, we used transaction based replication between
> numerous sites (ships), with one consolidated database (main office).
> All of the sites are working on the data, erasing, updating and
> inserting as they see fit. The transactions are sent via email, and
> applied at the consolidated db, which also edits/inserts data.
> The problem is : I can't get this to work with MS SQL server. Even
> though the application handles the id's of the rows for replication
> purpouses, MS SQL seems to insist on doing an insert, even thought
> there was an update to an existing row, thereby causing errormessages
> to fly left and right.

> Is it me, or does MS SQL server handle this sort of replication, or do
> you have to maintain what is replicated from the consolidated database
> as read only?

> Cheers!

Newbie : MS SQL 6.5 vs Sybase SQL anywhere

Post by Snerc » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Go Microsoft.....

Thanks anyway!
Cheers!

Quote:> 6.5 was never designed to handle disconnected users like you have.
It wants
> to have the subscriber be read only.  If you are doing updates on a
table
> that has a foreign key, you run a very high likelihood that this will
be
> turned into a delete/insert pair.  This is a major PITA and I still
haven't
> gotten an acceptable answer as to why there is even a difference with
> updates (deferred/in place).  i don't care what is happening under the
> covers, but it really screws up replication when a delete/insert gets
> written to the tran log instead of the update that was sent.  The only
> suggestion I can make is to utilize custom replication procs which is
an
> even bigger pain.  You'll either want to switch entirely to SQL
Anywhere to
> accomplish what you are doing or utilize the not for replication
option on
> the foreign keys.  You'll also want to start looking into SQL Server
7.0, if
> possible, and merge replication.

> --
> Mike
> Product reviews: http://www.mssqlserver.com/products
> Book reviews: http://www.mssqlserver.com/books
> Replication Primer: http://www.mssqlserver.com/replication
> Disaster recovery plans: http://www.mssqlserver.com/backup
> Please post all replies to the newsgroup unless stated otherwise

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. MS-SQL 6.5 vs. SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE

We have an existing NT server (v3.5) and SQL (v4.21) and soon to upgrade
to a better server with NT v4.0 and SQL 6.5.  This server currently
services our accounting department.  In September 1998, we will be
introducing another departmental software by Razor's Edge BlackBaud to
this server which runs on NT and Sybase SQL Anywhere.  I have heard that
these 2 systems, MS-SQL and Sybase SQL Any, might conflict.  Does
anybody know if there are any pitfalls I need to know before introducing
the new departmental application?  Are there ANY pros and cons to having
these two systems co-exist?  Your input is greatly appreciated...

2. MySQL Report generator

3. MS-SQL SERVER 6.5 vs. SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE

4. DBCombo -- anything like Access??

5. Converting from Sybase SQL Anywhere to MS SQL 6.5

6. Crystal Reports Problem

7. ms sql 6.5 vs ms sql 7.0

8. A question about Cursors

9. MS Access vs. Sybase SQL Anywhere

10. ? MS SQL Server 6.5 vs Sybase System 11

11. Sybase SQL Anywhere and SQL 6.5 replication

12. DELPHI with SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE------ DELPHI with SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE

13. SQL SERVER 6.5 and SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE