DTS Error between two SQL 7 Servers

Post by Steve Bottom » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi, all... :)  Hopefully this will be a quick one...

I have two licensed SQL Server 7 Standard Editions running side-by-side...
when I attempt to perform a DTS of a database (any database, really) from
one server to the other, I get a "DTS Wizard Error" telling me that the
transformation could not be completed due to a licensing restriction.  Both
serial numbers are different, and both versions are 7.0.  I've tried OLE
DB --> OLE DB, OLE-DB --> ODBC, ODBC --> ODBC... no go...

Is there something basic I'm missing here, or can you only transform between
SQL Servers if one or both are Enterprise?  Check MSDN: nuthin'... checked
KB: nuthin'...

Ideas?  Thanks in Advance!
Steve Bottoms
MedSeek, LLC

DTS Error between two SQL 7 Servers

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Steve - put the servers in per-seat mode.  Sounds to me like at least one of
the servers is a restricted/MSDN/desktop copy - or you're running on an
MSDN/restricted copy of NT.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

DTS Error between two SQL 7 Servers

Post by Steve Bottom » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Neil, thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, both copies are Standard.  There are no demo's/Dev copies in
the mix at all...

And as I understood it a server, once installed, can't be changed from
per-seat to per-server... ??

SteveB

Quote:> Steve - put the servers in per-seat mode.  Sounds to me like at least one
of
> the servers is a restricted/MSDN/desktop copy - or you're running on an
> MSDN/restricted copy of NT.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(sqlfaq.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

DTS Error between two SQL 7 Servers

Post by Lou Habla » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Steve:

You can go from Per Server to Per Seat -- you get a one time shot at this.
You are correct re: going from Per Seat to Per Server.

How did you initially install?  FYI:  MS's suggestion is, when in doubt,
always install using Per Server (because of the one time change you can make
as noted above).

Lou

> Neil, thanks for the response!

> Unfortunately, both copies are Standard.  There are no demo's/Dev copies
in
> the mix at all...

> And as I understood it a server, once installed, can't be changed from
> per-seat to per-server... ??

> SteveB

> > Steve - put the servers in per-seat mode.  Sounds to me like at least
one
> of
> > the servers is a restricted/MSDN/desktop copy - or you're running on an
> > MSDN/restricted copy of NT.

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> >  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
> >  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (sqlfaq.zip - L7
> > - SQL Public)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> >  or www.sql-server.co.uk
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

DTS Error between two SQL 7 Servers

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Steve - in that case you'll have to call MS....

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. DTS between two SQL SErver 7 Servers

Please advise how I can process DTS between two servers.
I am trying to copy a database to a second server.  The
restore feature does not seem to allow me to restore onto
another server and now I am also getting an error while
trying to transfer objects between two servers.

Thanks.

2. way to make an insert fail

3. How to move a DTS package between two SQL Server

4. Memory Leak in EXEC SQL getdbevent?

5. DTS Between Two SQL 7 server

6. Data conversion - which tool ?

7. Can't use DTS between two SQL servers

8. Local Administrator Privilege

9. SQL Server 7 DTS for Type Two dimensions

10. DTS between two SQL 7.0 Servers

11. DTS between two SQL 7.0 servers

12. DTS SQL Server 7 vs DTS SQL Server 2000

13. Retrieve data from two tables, from two databases, in two registered servers