sql agent

Post by Noel » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:39:21

Perhaps this question is out of place and if so I apologize..

Could someone please explain to me why a special 'agent' is needed when
backing up a MS sql database? What is the purpose of this agent....i was
told it handles 'open files', but since the backup happens in the eveing
when the database is not being used, then why is it necessary.
Specifically, I am using backup exec to back up my server. Ive added a sql
database and the vender wants to sell me the sql agent (not inexpensive) and
id just like to understand why this is necessary.... (I'd ask the vendor for
more explanation, but well..they are salesmen and not always to be
believed.... ;)
thank you

sql agent

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:49:07

Noel,

You're on the right track, don't let then sell you anything you don't need :-).

You can use SQL ServerAgent (comes with SQL Server) to schedule backups as desired.
Then pick up those backup files with the backup sw of your choice. This is probably
the most common backup strategy.

And for open file agent - don't even think about it. SQL Server has the files open all
the time it is started. You would need to get an exact snapshot of all the files (mdf,
ndf and ldf) that constitutes a database to have a useful "backup". Almost no-one does
filebackup with SQL Server.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> Perhaps this question is out of place and if so I apologize..

> Could someone please explain to me why a special 'agent' is needed when
> backing up a MS sql database? What is the purpose of this agent....i was
> told it handles 'open files', but since the backup happens in the eveing
> when the database is not being used, then why is it necessary.
> Specifically, I am using backup exec to back up my server. Ive added a sql
> database and the vender wants to sell me the sql agent (not inexpensive) and
> id just like to understand why this is necessary.... (I'd ask the vendor for
> more explanation, but well..they are salesmen and not always to be
> believed.... ;)
> thank you

sql agent

Post by Tom Morea » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:48:22

The 'agent' in this case is backing up the raw data files, which quite
frankly, don't need backing up.  Proper backups, e.g. using BACKUP DATABASE,
BACKUP LOG, etc. are done from within SQL Server.  It is the files from
these BACKUP statement that should be then backed up to tape.  For that, you
don't need an agent.

--
   Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCT
SQL Server MVP
Columnist, SQL Server Professional

Toronto, ON Canada
www.pinnaclepublishing.com/sql
www.apress.com
---
Perhaps this question is out of place and if so I apologize..

Could someone please explain to me why a special 'agent' is needed when
backing up a MS sql database? What is the purpose of this agent....i was
told it handles 'open files', but since the backup happens in the eveing
when the database is not being used, then why is it necessary.
Specifically, I am using backup exec to back up my server. Ive added a sql
database and the vender wants to sell me the sql agent (not inexpensive) and
id just like to understand why this is necessary.... (I'd ask the vendor for
more explanation, but well..they are salesmen and not always to be
believed.... ;)
thank you

1. Reschedule SQL Agent Job As SQL Agent Task

I have a SQL Agent Job that runs every 15 minutes looking for a
completed download of a mainframe file.  Since the file varies in size
100MB to 600MB and varies in its availability 2 AM to 6 AM.

Once the job finished successfully each day I want to either disable
or reschedule the job until the next day.

Any ideas...?

2. acentuation sql 2000

3. Setting Up SQL Mail for SQL Agent

4. Simultaneously updating and querying cube

5. SQL Agent Problem - Active / Passive Win2k + SQL 7.0

6. Referencing forms outside of formset

7. Unable to run command prompt SQL Utility from SQL Agent

8. New York - Sybase DBA - Global Web Trading System Support/Derivatives Trading Support

9. SQL-DMO: SQL Agent Job cannot be found in Job Collection

10. SQL Agent and SQL Job Owner

11. arcserve sql agent for sql server

12. SQL Mail vs SQL Agent Mail

13. Generate SQL Script via SQL Agent Jobs