Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Post by Johnny Yeu » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet
using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? So that, I can use MS Query
or ISQL_W to retrieve the records.

I've tested the connection is failure when there is a Firewall before
the MS SQL Server (That means, it is ok when no firewall exist). I am
sure that I've added and opened the port (e.g. 1433) for MS SQL
Server, but the error is still exist when using ISQL_W or via the
ODBC.

Please help and describe in details.

Thanks
Johnny

Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email
address.

Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Johnny,

Three guesses:
The client is using Multiprotocol, instead of TCP/IP _sockets_. Check with
Client Config Utility.

The server isn't listening on TCP/IP _Sockets_. Check with SQL Server Setup.
The port on SQL Server is changed. Check with SQL Server Setup.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

>Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet
>using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? So that, I can use MS Query
>or ISQL_W to retrieve the records.

>I've tested the connection is failure when there is a Firewall before
>the MS SQL Server (That means, it is ok when no firewall exist). I am
>sure that I've added and opened the port (e.g. 1433) for MS SQL
>Server, but the error is still exist when using ISQL_W or via the
>ODBC.

>Please help and describe in details.

>Thanks
>Johnny

>Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email
>address.

Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Post by somewh.. » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

How exactly does a client go about using Multiprotocol? I thought that was a
server side issue. Also, Sql Server may be listening on 1433, but all the
clients I have seen start pounding on doors starting at 1490 and if no one
answers move up to 15xx. After three doors (ports) are attempted the client
quits. Client in this case is i/wsql.

>Johnny,

>Three guesses:
>The client is using Multiprotocol, instead of TCP/IP _sockets_. Check with
>Client Config Utility.

>The server isn't listening on TCP/IP _Sockets_. Check with SQL Server
Setup.
>The port on SQL Server is changed. Check with SQL Server Setup.

>--
>Tibor Karaszi
>MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>Cornerstone Sweden AB

>>Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet
>>using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? So that, I can use MS Query
>>or ISQL_W to retrieve the records.

>>I've tested the connection is failure when there is a Firewall before
>>the MS SQL Server (That means, it is ok when no firewall exist). I am
>>sure that I've added and opened the port (e.g. 1433) for MS SQL
>>Server, but the error is still exist when using ISQL_W or via the
>>ODBC.

>>Please help and describe in details.

>>Thanks
>>Johnny

>>Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email
>>address.

Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

See below...

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

>How exactly does a client go about using Multiprotocol?

Client Configuration Utility in the SQL Server program group. Net Library
Tab, default network.

Quote:> I thought that was a
>server side issue. Also, Sql Server may be listening on 1433, but all the
>clients I have seen start pounding on doors starting at 1490 and if no one
>answers move up to 15xx. After three doors (ports) are attempted the client
>quits. Client in this case is i/wsql.

I believe that 1433 is when Sockets is used. You are refering to
Multiprotocol (RPC), which might be handeled drifferently. (Note that I'm no
network expert, though :-).

>>Johnny,

>>Three guesses:
>>The client is using Multiprotocol, instead of TCP/IP _sockets_. Check with
>>Client Config Utility.

>>The server isn't listening on TCP/IP _Sockets_. Check with SQL Server
>Setup.
>>The port on SQL Server is changed. Check with SQL Server Setup.

>>--
>>Tibor Karaszi
>>MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>>Cornerstone Sweden AB

>>>Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet
>>>using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? So that, I can use MS Query
>>>or ISQL_W to retrieve the records.

>>>I've tested the connection is failure when there is a Firewall before
>>>the MS SQL Server (That means, it is ok when no firewall exist). I am
>>>sure that I've added and opened the port (e.g. 1433) for MS SQL
>>>Server, but the error is still exist when using ISQL_W or via the
>>>ODBC.

>>>Please help and describe in details.

>>>Thanks
>>>Johnny

>>>Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email
>>>address.

Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Post by somewh.. » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Nevermind. Posted answer to the wrong question. On topic... please see ->

                KB articles Q107647 and : Q105794.

My apologies to Mr. Karaszi. He _is_ pointing you in the right direction.

>See below...

>--
>Tibor Karaszi
>MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>Cornerstone Sweden AB

>>How exactly does a client go about using Multiprotocol?
>Client Configuration Utility in the SQL Server program group. Net Library
>Tab, default network.

>> I thought that was a
>>server side issue. Also, Sql Server may be listening on 1433, but all the
>>clients I have seen start pounding on doors starting at 1490 and if no one
>>answers move up to 15xx. After three doors (ports) are attempted the
client
>>quits. Client in this case is i/wsql.
>I believe that 1433 is when Sockets is used. You are refering to
>Multiprotocol (RPC), which might be handeled drifferently. (Note that I'm
no
>network expert, though :-).

>>>Johnny,

>>>Three guesses:
>>>The client is using Multiprotocol, instead of TCP/IP _sockets_. Check
with
>>>Client Config Utility.

>>>The server isn't listening on TCP/IP _Sockets_. Check with SQL Server
>>Setup.
>>>The port on SQL Server is changed. Check with SQL Server Setup.

>>>--
>>>Tibor Karaszi
>>>MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>>>Cornerstone Sweden AB

1. Connect MS SQL Server vai Internet using TCP/IP in the client side

Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet
using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? So that, I can use MS Query
or ISQL_W to retrieve the records.

I've tested the connection is failure when there is a Firewall before
the MS SQL Server (That means, it is ok when no firewall exist). I am
sure that I've added and opened the port (e.g. 1433) for MS SQL
Server, but the error is still exist when using ISQL_W or via the
ODBC.

Please help and describe in details.

Thanks
Johnny

Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email
address.

2. ADO COnnection String for Oracle

3. SQL Server Connect thru internet with TCP/ip, using MFC ODBC classed

4. external access to intranet

5. Connecting to SQL port 1433 using TCP/IP only (no SQL client)

6. VB code running in IDE and querying OLAP Server faster than compiled one

7. PRB Connecting to SQL Server over the internet TCP/IP

8. how to create one table using another

9. Connecting to sql server over the internet only tcp/ip

10. Connecting to a SQL Server via internet, TCP/IP

11. Cannot connect to SQL Server using tcp/ip

12. Connect to SQL Server using Tcp/ip

13. Newbie connecting to MS SQL Server using MS Access as client