Apply changes from developing Server to production Server

Apply changes from developing Server to production Server

Post by YA » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:16:19

We have an application that uses SQL Server 2000. We have a developing SQL
Server and a production SQL Server. The servers are not on the same network.
What's the best way to apply changes made on the developing Server (new
field, new store procedure..) to the production server ?

Thanks in advance.

Apply changes from developing Server to production Server

Post by Dejan Sark » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:51:06

If you have scripts for altering objects, execute them in production server,
but not during peak hours. Be careful when altering objects - addind a new
column of fixed size, not null, with default value, for example, could
produce a long transaction! If you don't have scripts, you can recreate them
using the SQL Compare tool - http://www.red-gate.com.

--
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> We have an application that uses SQL Server 2000. We have a developing SQL
> Server and a production SQL Server. The servers are not on the same
network.
> What's the best way to apply changes made on the developing Server (new
> field, new store procedure..) to the production server ?

> Thanks in advance.

Apply changes from developing Server to production Server

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:59:04

I use the following procedure:

- Restore a backup of the production environment on a test server (this will
test your backup/restore procedures at the same time)
- Compare the restored database with the development database using a tool
like SQLCompare (www.redgate.com) and save the report from this as a
baseline.
- Apply all the change scripts you have created (you can create change
scripts using SQLCompare, but quite often you will need to write specific
change scripts anyway) on the restored database and run SQLCompare again.
The development and test databases should now be identical.
- Perform tests on the restored and updated database and compare results
with both the development and the production database.
- Make sure you have a rollback procedure in place for your production
database (do a full backup before applying the change scripts if possible)
and apply the change scripts on the production database.

--
Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
Database Administrator