Article Q253010

Post by Chad Hirme » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

refering to artilce Q253010, how do I get the fix?

Thanks
Akshay Mistry

Article Q253010

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Chad,

Quote:> refering to artilce Q253010, how do I get the fix?

Q.     What are SQL Server hot-fixes and where can I get them?

A. Hot-fixes are builds of SQL Server just like service-packs.  However they
are not fully packaged or given the same level of testing as a servicepack.
They should only be applied to resolve a particular problem.

To get them, the official answer is that you must contact Microsoft Product
Support Services by phone.  You can get contact details from
http://support.microsoft.com/support/supportnet/default.asp.  The call screener
answering the phone will charge your account/credit card for the call - in the
US this is $195 I believe.  Then when the engineer you are put through to
determines the call is about an Microsoft bug they will refund it.  They will
tell you where to get the hot-fix, or will send it to you.

Unofficially, you can pick up hotfixes from
ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/sql/transfer as long as you know the build number and
pkzip password you need.  The files are called SQLbbbm.EXE where bbb is the
build number and m is the machine type.  So SQL324I.EXE is build 324 for Intel.
 The files are pkzip password protected.

Wherever you get one from be aware that hot-fixes are typically NOT regression
tested and can cause a lot more damage than they can fix.  You are strongly
urged to discuss using any hot-fix with an Microsoft PSS representative before
applying it.

===

v1.03 1999.11.04
Applies to SQL Server versions  : All
FAQ Categories                  : Installation and Upgrades, Troubleshooting
Related FAQ articles            : n/a
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike
 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. articles about comparison of databases

Hello,

I'm looking for articles that deal with the comparison of (relational)
database systems, i.e. MS SQL, Access, Postgres, MySQL, Adabas, Oracle,
Sybase, DB2, Informix etc. I would be very useful if the article(s)
point(s) out the strengths and weaknesses of the databases, their
features (transactions, sub-selects, triggers, stores procedures, views)
ans their best operational area (big c/s-applications, web-applications,
heavy backends). Which db is best for which operational area? Some
words to performance, reliability, security, user management etc. would
be cool!

Thank you in advance, Jens.

2. SQL Syntax in ASP using VB

3. Order by variable problem - inconsistency with BP Margolin's article

4. Array of Strings and Char?

5. new deVBuzz.com article - eVB and SQL Server 200 CE

6. API functions from stored procedure?

7. Article: Delphi Dusts Visual Basic

8. Sybase Developer Opportunity

9. Here: online books, SQL FAQ, discussion lists, articles (free)

10. Replication article not downloaded

11. Here: FAQ, online books, articles, references

12. Articles on migrating Access to SQL 7.

13. SQL Server FAQ, online articles, online books (free)