SQL Server 2000 Install after Uninstalling SQL server 2000

SQL Server 2000 Install after Uninstalling SQL server 2000

Post by chandra ganesa » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:11:05

Hi,

I have to Install SQL server 2000 on a server which now has a install of SQL
server 7.0.
I would have to Uninstall SQL server 7.0 before installing SQL server 2000
on this server.
Upgrading is not an option here.

Has anybody encountered problems/issues with this kind of Uninstall of 7.0
and Install of SQL server 2000.

Thank you,
Chandra.

SQL Server 2000 Install after Uninstalling SQL server 2000

Post by Pat Phela » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:10:41

You certainly can install both MS-SQL 7.0 and SQL 2000 on one machine, assuming you have enough disk.  You say in your posting that you can't upgrade, but don't explain why you can't.  Obviously there are issues here that I don't understand (maybe business rules, hardware constraints, etc).

Anyway, no, I don't know of any problems with removing SQL 7 from a server and then installing SQL 2000.  Then again, I can't think of any reason for having to do that either, so I'm probably missing some important information.

-PatP

Please post DDL at the very least, and DML when possible to make it easier for people to help you.

Please reply only via newsgroups, as I rarely reply to email.

SQL Server 2000 Install after Uninstalling SQL server 2000

Post by Chandra ganesa » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:02:53

Hi Pat,

Thanks, Business just wants a clean install of SQL server 2000(this is for a product not directly supported by my team) on the server with SQL server 7.0. I was suggesting a upgrade to SQL server 2000, which is not what business is considering, in which case I will have to uninstall SQL sever 7.0 and Install SQL server 2000 and just wanted to know any known issues in this setup.

TIA,
Chandra.

SQL Server 2000 Install after Uninstalling SQL server 2000

Post by Pat Phela » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:02:47

No issues that I've ever encountered, but there have been a few
instances reported since 2000 was released.  For all practical purposes,
I'd say you are "good to go" although there have been a couple (roughly
several dozen out of tens of thousands) of folks who've had problems.