replace NULL values with other values

Post by Anna Duer » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:36:27

isnull() build-in function replaces a NULL value by a
specified value. Is there any parameter on a databaseor
for a seesion that can be set to make NULL substitution by
a specified value automatic.

replace NULL values with other values

Post by Kalen Delane » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:46:26

You could update all your tables.
But there's no way in any of the supplied tools to do this.

--
Kalen Delaney
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> isnull() build-in function replaces a NULL value by a
> specified value. Is there any parameter on a databaseor
> for a seesion that can be set to make NULL substitution by
> a specified value automatic.

replace NULL values with other values

Post by Joe Celk » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:12:06

Quote:>> Is there any parameter on a database or for a session that can be set

to make NULL substitution by a specified value automatic. <<

No. Imagine the mess that (n) sessions with (n) different NULL
substitutions woudl be!

However, you can use the DEFAULT clause to something like what you are
asking for.  Or you can do an UPDATE at the end of your session.

--CELKO--
 ===========================
schema are.

Post by Ben Amad » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:20:01

> isnull() build-in function replaces a NULL value by a
> specified value. Is there any parameter on a databaseor
> for a seesion that can be set to make NULL substitution by
> a specified value automatic.

No (just as everyone else said :-)

One option (in addition to others) is to create Views.

--
Ben

1. Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
(finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
Zero is a valid result.

I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
include zero but not return the records with the null value.

Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

Peter

--

2. CREATE FUNCTION fails on 2 of 3 databases, same server

3. NULL value query / replace question

4. How do I quickly restore a database I'm experimenting with?

5. Null values replaced with zero-length strings on export

6. Problem after upsizing to SQL Server: can't update existing data.

7. Replacing null fields with empty values thru ASP

8. Questions about rollback

9. Replace null value

10. Replace <NULL> values

11. Export Null values to Excel cause left shifted values in XLS

12. Give some value to Null values

13. ISNULL varient that will display one value if null and one value if not