Unreal table size showing in Manage Index screen

Unreal table size showing in Manage Index screen

Post by Steve Golamc » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

We have several tables which show unreal table sizes (much too big) when
viewed in the Manage Index screen (ver 6.5).  Running dbcc checktable does
not correct this.

Aside from transferring the data into another table and dropping the
original table, is there an easier way to rectify this situation?

TIA,
Steve

Unreal table size showing in Manage Index screen

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Steve,

Quote:> We have several tables which show unreal table sizes (much too big) when
> viewed in the Manage Index screen (ver 6.5).

What calculation do you compare/base that conclusion on?

Quote:> Aside from transferring the data into another table and dropping the
> original table, is there an easier way to rectify this situation?

Will DBCC UPDATEUSAGE help (recalculate in the index dialog) help?

You could trace E.M. and see that it calls sp_MSindexspace. Since it's an
sp_you'll find the source in E.M.....
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

Unreal table size showing in Manage Index screen

Post by Roy Harv » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Steve,

Quote:>Any reason why this table could appear so bloated?  Any suggestions how to
>correct?

Try running dbcc updateusage.

Roy

Unreal table size showing in Manage Index screen

Post by Kalen Delane » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

You can run DBCC SHOWCONTIG on both tables, and compare the results looking
for fragmentation.
--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP