query plan statistics

Post by Rein Peterse » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:49:01

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way to return a T-SQL result set of
statistics of a query plan for a query without actually running the query
itself. Again, I would like to be able to access it in a result set so the
Query Analyzer's 'Show Execution Plan' is not really what I'm looking for...

Also, can SQL provide realtime performance statistics in a resultset?

Rein Petersen

query plan statistics

Post by Rein Peterse » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:37:38

Found it...

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON

But, now I want to do something a little more complicated. I would like the
power to filter all T-SQL commands directed at my db, apply business rules
on whether or not statements will be run, queued, or denied based on my own
criteria, and finally either return the results as requested or appropriate
messages...

Anyone know how you may run a filter (maybe much like an ISAPI filter for
IIS) within MS SQL ?

Rein

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way to return a T-SQL result set of
> statistics of a query plan for a query without actually running the query
> itself. Again, I would like to be able to access it in a result set so the
> Query Analyzer's 'Show Execution Plan' is not really what I'm looking
for...

> Also, can SQL provide realtime performance statistics in a resultset?

> Rein Petersen

query plan statistics

Post by Kun Cheng [M » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:15:04

SQL Server enables you to create constraints or triggers to define business
rules. Check BOL for more details

HTH

--------------------

| Subject: Re: query plan statistics : found the answer, but ...
| Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:37:38 -0400

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming
|
| Found it...
|
| SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON
|
| But, now I want to do something a little more complicated. I would like
the
| power to filter all T-SQL commands directed at my db, apply business rules
| on whether or not statements will be run, queued, or denied based on my
own
| criteria, and finally either return the results as requested or
appropriate
| messages...
|
| Anyone know how you may run a filter (maybe much like an ISAPI filter for
| IIS) within MS SQL ?
|
| Rein
|

| > Hi All,
| >
| > I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way to return a T-SQL result set
of
| > statistics of a query plan for a query without actually running the
query
| > itself. Again, I would like to be able to access it in a result set so
the
| > Query Analyzer's 'Show Execution Plan' is not really what I'm looking
| for...
| >
| > Also, can SQL provide realtime performance statistics in a resultset?
| >
| > Rein Petersen

1. RedBrick: statistics and query plan

I'd like to know how and which statistics RedBrick uses to decide the
execution plan.

In the "Administrator's Guide", in chapter "Tuning a Warehouse for
Performace", a flow chart diagram is shown.
There, the join algorithm selection problem is described.

Well, I'm working with a star schema.
When I submit a query with one Fact Table and more than one Dimension Table
without any selection clause, I can't understand, for example, how the
optimizer selects the order of the DTs for the join with the FT.
I'm afraid that simply it reflects the order in which I put them in the FROM
clause.

Thank you.

2. Shared Memory - Pinning a procedure

3. Computing statistics and query plans

4. Filemaker Developer 5 RUNTIME for standalone..

5. Execution plan,Query plan?

6. tricky stuff with pictures-question

7. Why is Stored Proc plan slower than query plan

8. Reading a UNIdata file

9. Locking Plan part of Query Plan?

10. Need statistics for planning

11. Missing statistics in plan

12. Update Statistics Plan for IDS 7.31

13. Stored Procedure dynamic queries and query plan