updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

Post by T.Tayl » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:03:54

Hello to all the gurus out there

I am not a DBA, but a ASP web page programmer who uses queries to
select, insert, delete, and update information in SQL Server tables.
Now I have been asked to find out how to get SQL Server to do
immediate updates in two similar databases on two similar servers (WIN
NT 4 & SQL SERVER 7)

If a user updates one of the databases through the web page, the other
database on the other server should be updated right away and vice
versa.  I was told that no code should be written to do this because
MS DTC could do this process without any code.

The problem is that I have found very little about MS DTC and I have
no idea where to start.  Can some guru help me please???????  Thanks
in advance.

updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

Post by Kresimir Radosevi » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:19:40

Check out the BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION in books online.

Hope that helps
    Kresimir Radosevic

Quote:> Hello to all the gurus out there

> I am not a DBA, but a ASP web page programmer who uses queries to
> select, insert, delete, and update information in SQL Server tables.
> Now I have been asked to find out how to get SQL Server to do
> immediate updates in two similar databases on two similar servers (WIN
> NT 4 & SQL SERVER 7)

> If a user updates one of the databases through the web page, the other
> database on the other server should be updated right away and vice
> versa.  I was told that no code should be written to do this because
> MS DTC could do this process without any code.

> The problem is that I have found very little about MS DTC and I have
> no idea where to start.  Can some guru help me please???????  Thanks
> in advance.

updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

Post by T.Tayl » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:17:16

I read the books online and the books I have but I could not find out
how to implement the process.
What I am looking for are examples on how to implement the process.
If you know of any please let me know.  Thanks.

> Check out the BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION in books online.

> Hope that helps
>     Kresimir Radosevic

> > Hello to all the gurus out there

> > I am not a DBA, but a ASP web page programmer who uses queries to
> > select, insert, delete, and update information in SQL Server tables.
> > Now I have been asked to find out how to get SQL Server to do
> > immediate updates in two similar databases on two similar servers (WIN
> > NT 4 & SQL SERVER 7)

> > If a user updates one of the databases through the web page, the other
> > database on the other server should be updated right away and vice
> > versa.  I was told that no code should be written to do this because
> > MS DTC could do this process without any code.

> > The problem is that I have found very little about MS DTC and I have
> > no idea where to start.  Can some guru help me please???????  Thanks
> > in advance.

updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

Post by Kresimir Radosevi » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:39:47

Come on, add a second sql server as an linked server and state:

begin distributed transaction

    insert into dbo.yourtable ....
    insert into otherservername.dbname.dbo.yourtable...

commit....

Regards
    Kresimir Radosevic

> I read the books online and the books I have but I could not find out
> how to implement the process.
> What I am looking for are examples on how to implement the process.
> If you know of any please let me know.  Thanks.

> > Check out the BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION in books online.

> > Hope that helps
> >     Kresimir Radosevic

> > > Hello to all the gurus out there

> > > I am not a DBA, but a ASP web page programmer who uses queries to
> > > select, insert, delete, and update information in SQL Server tables.
> > > Now I have been asked to find out how to get SQL Server to do
> > > immediate updates in two similar databases on two similar servers (WIN
> > > NT 4 & SQL SERVER 7)

> > > If a user updates one of the databases through the web page, the other
> > > database on the other server should be updated right away and vice
> > > versa.  I was told that no code should be written to do this because
> > > MS DTC could do this process without any code.

> > > The problem is that I have found very little about MS DTC and I have
> > > no idea where to start.  Can some guru help me please???????  Thanks
> > > in advance.

updating multiple databases on multiple servers with DTC

Post by T.Tayl » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:55:27

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  What I wanted was to configure MS DTC
to do the process without modifying any SQL query Code.  I was told
that was a possibility.  If that is incorrect, is there another way to
configure SQL Server 7 without modifying/writing any SQL query code to
automatically update both databases immediately after one DB was
updated?  Thanks again.

> Come on, add a second sql server as an linked server and state:

> begin distributed transaction

>     insert into dbo.yourtable ....
>     insert into otherservername.dbname.dbo.yourtable...

> commit....

> Regards
>     Kresimir Radosevic

> > I read the books online and the books I have but I could not find out
> > how to implement the process.
> > What I am looking for are examples on how to implement the process.
> > If you know of any please let me know.  Thanks.

> > > Check out the BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION in books online.

> > > Hope that helps
> > >     Kresimir Radosevic

1. Multiple database - multiple query - multiple server

Hello,
        I know that queries across multiple databases are in TODO list
Does it mean that databases can be on multiple servers (postmasters) and
that update,insert,delete across multiple databases are possible.

Thanks

2. HowTo get index names winthin a table

3. Multiple Databases/Multiple Servers

4. Sybase and I/O optomization w/RAID

5. Multiple Databases on Multiple Servers?

6. DBCombo VB4.0 Bug?

7. HELP! Multiple Databases/Multiple Servers Access

8. Multiple databases on multiple servers.

9. Update on Multiple Records from Multiple Tables

10. Multiple Databases vs. Multiple Tables

11. Multiple Tables v Multiple Databases