SQL Server 2000 client on Windows 2000 professional

SQL Server 2000 client on Windows 2000 professional

Post by Chri » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 19:40:36

Hi,
I am running SQL Server 2000 client on Windows 2000
professional. Because I am only running windows 2000 pro.
I am only able to install SQL Server client rather than
the full server application. I've been told that there is
a patch for SQL server to allow operating systems like
windows 2000 pro/win 98 to run just one database rather
than just the client software. Does anyone know where I
can get this patch/download.
Please respond to the email address without the
word 'nospam.'.

Cheers,

Chris.

SQL Server 2000 client on Windows 2000 professional

Post by Shirley Kelly [M » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 21:20:07

Hello Chris,

In a Windows 2000 Professional environment, you can use SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition.  That will give you most of the server features.
It's not really a patch; it's a different version of the SQL Server software.  There is more information about Personal Edition in the Books OnLine
topic "SQL Server 2000 Databases on the Desktop".

Regards,
Shirley Kelly, MCSE, MCDBA
SQL Server Support

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

1. linked servers with windows 2000 professional/sql server 2000

Hi,
I have 2 servers configured as linked servers.
One is ServerA and the other ServerB.
From ServerB I have dts packages that perform calls to
remote stored procedures is ServerA.
In one of my packages I have the following:
1. A connection object pointing to serverA
2. DDQ(Data Driven Query Task). In that DDQ , there is an
option tab called "lookups" where I created a new lookup
to perform a query in ServerA.
3. When I perform step # 2 I get the following error:
Server: 'ServerA' is not configured for DATA ACCESS

I check the configurations on the linked server properties
for this server and the Data Access flag is set in both
servers.

One difference that I think it might be the problem is
that serverA is running Windows 2000 server and Sql Server
2000
. Serverb is running Windows 2000 professional and sql
server 2000.
I can do 4 part queries from Query Analyzer from both
sides:
Example Select * from ServerA.TestDatabase.dbo.testtable

Any ideas?

Thanks,
RZ

2. SQL Server 6.5 Speed Concerns

3. D3 printing errors under Windows 2000 server and Windows 2000 professional

4. more on soundex()

5. SQL Server 2000 vs IIs on Windows 2000 Professional

6. Analyzing Schemas?

7. Cannot install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows 2000 Professional

8. Generic Subform Reference?

9. Unable to Install SQL Server 2000 on windows 2000 Professional

10. Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

11. SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

12. MSDE 2000 installation on Windows 2000 SP2 Professional using Windows Installer Merge Modules from SP1

13. Update NT4.0 and SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000