Data Transfer from Long data type to SQL Server Text data type column

Data Transfer from Long data type to SQL Server Text data type column

Post by Chellamma » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:59:49

Hi All,
        Is there any possiblity to transfer Long data type value to SQL
Server?. I'm using DTS package to transfer data. I have to use only SQL
Server Tools or DTS package.

--
Thank you,

With Regards,
A.chellammal
Developer

Data Transfer from Long data type to SQL Server Text data type column

Post by Aaron Bertrand [MVP » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:23:02

Long *where*?  VB, C#, some other database, a text file, ...

Can you use CONVERT?  Also, if a long can be no more than 19 digits (I
think?), why would you want to store this in TEXT (which can store up to 2
GB of data)?  Wouldn't it make more sense to store a numeric value using a
numeric data type, and if for some reason you want it to be character-based,
at least use a more reasonable VARCHAR?

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP