Shrinking data file and log file

Post by Leon Parke » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:46:03

This past weekend I purged a lot of data in one of my
databases.  I've noticed that my data and log files
instead of shrinking actually grew a little.  I went into
Enterprise Manager and chose my database, selected Shrink
database and chose my log file to shrink.  I specified an
amount for it to be shrunk to and clicked ok...it said
that the file was shrunk successfully but whenever I
select properties on the database and choose the
transaction log my space allocated is still the same.  Am
I missing something?

Leon

Shrinking data file and log file

Post by Vishal Parka » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:24:17

Shrinking the Transaction Log in SQL Server 2000 with DBCC
SHRINKFILE
us;Q272318

INF: Causes of SQL Transaction Log Filling Up
us;Q110139

HOW TO: Shrink the Tempdb Database in SQL Server
us;Q307487

INF: Considerations for Autogrow and Autoshrink
Configuration
us;Q315512

FIX: AUTO-SHRINK Option or DBCC SHRINKDATABASE May Slow
Down SQL Server 2000 Performance
us;Q296386

--Vishal

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This past weekend I purged a lot of data in one of my
>databases.  I've noticed that my data and log files
>instead of shrinking actually grew a little.  I went into
>Enterprise Manager and chose my database, selected Shrink
>database and chose my log file to shrink.  I specified an
>amount for it to be shrunk to and clicked ok...it said
>that the file was shrunk successfully but whenever I
>select properties on the database and choose the
>transaction log my space allocated is still the same.  Am
>I missing something?

>Leon
>.

Shrinking data file and log file

Post by Maurice Boer » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:36:33

Run this in Query Analyzer before shrinking:

Backup Log <database name> With No_Log

Maurice

Quote:> This past weekend I purged a lot of data in one of my