Connection problem please help

Post by cnya » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

We just bought a 5-client version of MS SQL server 7.   We created a
small
database on it.   However, when more than one user tries to connect we
get an error saying the  maximum number of simultaneous users (1) has
been exceeded.  We have set up the required users as valid logins and
users of the database but still keep getting this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   The SQL server is running on
Win NT 4.0
and all the clients are running on NT workstations.

C N Yap.

1. Connection problem - please help

I have a 3-pc SBS 4.5 network. SQL 7 is running on the server, and I'm
running SQL Server 7 Desktop on the 2 client PCS, one of which is Windows 98
and the other NT4W.

In order to distribute a replicable database to the clients, I'm using the
SQL Server Enterprise Manager to add the clients to a database group. The
Windows NT4W client is seen without any problem, but I've tried installing
and uninstalling and cautiously tweaking various settings on the Windows 98
PC, but nothing I do can make Enterprise Manager see the W98 client. When I
try to connect from the server, I get error:

'A connection could not be established to XYZPC - Specified SQL server not
found.
ConnectionOpen(CreateFile())

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server
registrationproperties (by right clicking on the XYZPC node) and try again.'

Can somebody expalin what I have to do to have the W98 PC join the SQL
Server Group?

I notice that the 'Default network library' on the W98 PC is TCP/IP, but on
the NT4W client it's 'Named Pipes'. Could this be part of the the
explanation?

Thanks for any input - I've been banging my head up against this brick wall
for a couple of weeks now. (Not continuously, I took some meal breaks). If
any of what I've written seems like gibberish it's because SQL Server and I
are relative strangers.

Jacques

2. Help! Urgent! Database incredibly grown.

3. Database Connection Problem - Please help

4. backups -Reply

5. Database Connection problems Please help !!!

6. Are you a XPS Guru?

7. InterDev's New Database Wizard - SQL Connection Problems - Please Help!!

8. please help - very strange connection problem

9. Terminal Services connection problem - help please!

10. Please Help!! Server connection problem

11. Please help me solve this weird ODBC Connection Problem

12. Please Help!! Server connection problem