6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Chuck Hipschma » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I bought a copy of Visual C++ Enterprise Edition 5.0, Academic Licensce some
time ago. I've finally gotten to the point where I want to work with SQL
Server, but I can't get it to install.  The install fails when it tries to
verify, saying it can't connect to the server. I've cruised through the
knowledge base and this forum, and applied what I've found, but still fail.
There are two areas that I'm not so sure about, however.  1.  My chip is a
Cyrix P166+, apparently a bad choice, but replacement isn't in the budget
right now.  However, if this is the problem, then I can quit installing
until I can get a new system.  2).  There's no network card in the system,
just a dialup TCP/IP connection. I really don't want to mess up my TCP/IP
connection, as the school's (my ISP) networking people aren't very much
help, and I'm self taught in this area.  I know that I have 127.0.0.1
configured for TCP/IP, but I'm reluctant to setup the loopback adapter for
fear that I my disable my TCP/IP, which is working, but only out of sheer
dumb luck :)  Any ideas?
Chuck
TIA

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Chuck,

 Don't worry about the loopback - as long as you don't clash addresses with
your ISP you are fine.  Chip is ok too.

Quote:> Subject: 6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Q.      I'm having trouble installing SQL Server.  What could be going wrong?
(v1.11 6.1.1999)

A.  Try the following check-list of things that could go wrong.  I've never
known anyone not to install SQL after following these instructions.  (If you're
the first then let me know)

1.  Make sure you have administrator level permissions on the machine in
question, as SQL needs to create registry entries, services etc.

2.  Make sure the machine is of the required spec to run the version of SQL you
are installing.  I.e. if it is SQL EE then make sure you have NT EE.  For SQL 7
you need a 100% Intel pentium compatible chip or an Alpha etc.  There is a
full-list in another faq entry.

3.  If you have tried to install SQL before then manually clean-up all the
files/registry entries as follows :-

Remove the <sql> directory and everything under it
Remove the <sql> dir from the path (use control panel/system for this)
Remove the SQL registry entries using regedt32/regedit. These are :-
        (All versions)
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLServer
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
        (6.0 and above.)
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLExecutive
        (7.0 and above)
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLServerAgent
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 7
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServ65

4.  If SQL is complaining about not enough space being there, then this could
be due to a known bug when there is between <n> times 4,295,917 KB and <n>
times 4,367,417 KB.  To get around this either create temporary files to use
space up, or start the SQL setup program as follows.  Spacing is important.

          <sqldir>\i386\setup /t SpaceChecking = Off

5.  SQL Server is dependent on network functionality - even for the set-up
routines.  Specifically it needs to use named-pipe/mailslot functionality.
These usually require a network card to be present.  If you don't have a
network card then go to control panel/networks, choose add adapter and then add
the Microsoft loopback adapter - which is just a dummy driver, no hardware
involved.  This needs to have working network protocol(s) bound to it.  Let
whichever protocols you have use default parameters, EXCEPT for tcp-ip.  If you
are using this then do NOT specify dhcp assigned address, use 192.168.1.1 as
the IP address and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.  This is a standard
RFC1918 non-routed IP address so shouldn't clash with any dial-up address you
may be given by an ISP.

One way of testing that the named-pipes functionality works is to run the
makepipe and readpipe utilities that come with SQL Server.  Run makepipe in one
command window.  Then run readpipe in another.  If these work (i.e. the
readpipe connects to makepipe and closes it down) then it is a good indication
that networking functionality is ok.

6.  Because a named-pipe, used by the set-up routine, is effectively a file as
far as the operating system is concerned, real-time Virus scanners can cause
problems.  Most of these have been fixed so they don't interfere with SQL's
named-pipes, but make sure you're running the latest version of whichever virus
package you use.  But if in doubt, then disable the virus software for the
duration of the install.

7.  Other software packages can also interfere with SQL's install - typically
they interfere with named-pipes/mailslot connectivity by intercepting requests.
Setup will terminate with an error like 'unable to write to mailslot.....'.
Shut-down any of these for the duration of the install.  Packages that are
known to interfere with SQL's setup routines include :-

        IIS - Internet Information Server - the web parts, not FTP
        PWS - Personal Web Server
        Exchange Server

8.  If the dial-up networking icon/window appears and tries to make a network
connection, then stop and disable the "Remote Access Autodial Manager" service
via control panel/services.  This is an NT issue rather than a SQL one, but
disabling auto-dial is the easiest way around it.

9.  If you are upgrading make sure that the default database for the "sa" login
is master.

10.  If the error is to do with SQL Performance Monitor counters - SQLCTRxx.DLL
- then try removing the SNMP service and all 3rd party network/server
monitoring tools.  e.g. HP NetServer Agents, Compaq Insight Manager

11.  If the problem is to do with ODBC files not installing (normally a SQL 7
problem), then check that nothing has the ODBC files open.  This could be other
SQL utilities, Exchange, IIS, SNMP Service, Compaq Insight Manager, Backup Exec
and many other services.  Download NTHANDLEX from www.sysinternals.com if you
can't figure out what has the file(s) open.  it could also be that the ODBC
files on your hard-drive have been marked as read-only.  Check with ATTRIB.EXE
or explorer to see if this is the case.

12.  Now just run the setup routine and it should work!

13.  If the setup seems to run ok, but then SQL won't start then try the
following.
From the <sql>\binn directory run the following, making sure that the spacing
and case is correct

        setup /t RegistryRebuild = On

The setup routine will now run and ask you all the normal questions.  Answer
these as if you were performing the install again (same paths etc.) and it will
just update all the registry entries/icons etc.  It will leave the databases
alone.

14.  If it still isn't installing then check the *.OUT files in the
<sql>\install directory for clues as to what is going on.

15.  If the .OUT files indicate that ISQL cannot connect to the SQL Server to
run scripts then you can try the following (note this isn't supported, and the
author has only used it to fix servicepack installs so far, but it *may* work
for full installs as well).  After making the change run "setup /t Local = Yes"

        Make a backup of the setup.inf first, then find the following line

        set !ServerName = $(!ComputerName)

        Now add the following 3 lines after it

        ifstr(i) $(!Local) == "Yes"
        set !ServerName = "."
        endif

-----

Once installed, if you have trouble registering your SQL Server by name in SQL
EM, then just register it with a name of just a period.  i.e. "." without the
quotes.  This again bypasses the network layer and ensures that a local
named-pipe is used.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 and http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 and GO MSSQL Lib 1 on Compuserve

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Chuck Hipschma » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Neil,

Looks like I'm going to be the first to not be able to install SQL server.

Quote:>A.  Try the following check-list of things that could go wrong.  I've never
>2.  Make sure the machine is of the required spec to run the version of SQL
you
>are installing.  I.e. if it is SQL EE then make sure you have NT EE.  For
SQL 7
>you need a 100% Intel pentium compatible chip or an Alpha etc.  There is a
>full-list in another faq entry.

You replied that my Cyrix chip is not the problem, could it be that it's
because I'm running NT Workstation 4.0 sp3. The academic version of Visual
C++ 5.0 EE included NT Workstation, and as my goal was to learn Visual C++
and SQL Server, I just assumed that the included version of NT was
compatible with the included version of SQL server.

Quote:>5.  SQL Server is dependent on network functionality - even for the set-up
>One way of testing that the named-pipes functionality works is to run the
>makepipe and readpipe utilities that come with SQL Server.  Run makepipe in

one

I haven't added any loopback except for the standard TCP/IP 127.0.0.1, but
makepipe and readpipe appear to be working.

It's been educational, I'm just not learning what I hoped to :)

TIA

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Chuck,

 The Cyrix is ok for SQL 6.5.  Probably not for SQL 7.

 On the NT4 version, that is fine, as is all the other stuff you have
installed.  However I really do think you should install the MS Loopback
adapter and give it a static (10.x.x.x) address just to get SQL installed.  You
can always remove it again afterwards if you're worried.  SQL is just this
pernickity at install time.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 and http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 and GO MSSQL Lib 1 on Compuserve

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Chuck Hipschma » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> However I really do think you should install the MS Loopback

I'll try that tonight.   I thought I'd include the following now, before
I've had a chance to try the loopback adapter (in case I*up and am off
the net for a while :)

The errorlog file for each install has been basically the same.  Two
suspicious parts are lines 6 + 7:

  kernel   Attempting to initialize Distributed Transaction Coordinator
  server   Failed to obtain TransactionDispenserInterface:
XACT_E_TMNOTAVAILABLE

and the last line

  kernel   SQL Server terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control
Manager

I had a very difficult time installing the option pack, having to
re-download it and reinstall several time.  I was wondering if MSDTC is
somehow screwed up, and am thinking that it originally got onto my system as
part of PWS.  Prior to the install, I have gone into services and stopped
and changed to manual the World Wide Web Publishing Service.

TIA

Post by Chuck Hipschma » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>However I really do think you should install the MS Loopback
>adapter

The loopback adapter did it!  SQLServer installed, and I still have TCP/IP.
Thanks.

But, apparently unable to handle success, I tried to install the transaction
server also.  It failed with the message "mtxex.dll was unable to register
itself in the system registry".  I think this problem should go into a new
thread, but I couldn't find a group for transaction server, so I'm unsure
where to turn.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Chuck

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Chuck,

Quote:>   kernel   Attempting to initialize Distributed Transaction Coordinator
>   server   Failed to obtain TransactionDispenserInterface:
> XACT_E_TMNOTAVAILABLE

 Ignore this-  it just means DTC isn't there.  You don't need it

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 and http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 and GO MSSQL Lib 1 on Compuserve

6.5 Install Fails, unable to connect

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Chuck,

 I knew it would work!

 On the transaction server side there are transaction server newsgroups under
microsoft.public.  Don't use it myself so I can't help.#

Quote:> The loopback adapter did it!  SQLServer installed, and I still have TCP/IP.
> Thanks.

> But, apparently unable to handle success, I tried to install the transaction
> server also.  It failed with the message "mtxex.dll was unable to register
> itself in the system registry".  I think this problem should go into a new
> thread, but I couldn't find a group for transaction server, so I'm unsure
> where to turn.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

> Chuck

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 and http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 and GO MSSQL Lib 1 on Compuserve

1. Unable to install SP4 on SQL 6.5

I am having problems installing SP4 on my SQL 6.5 (6.50.259).  When I run
the set-up all I get is 'cannot install on this version'.

I have downloaded SP4 from the online support page, and from
FTP.Microsoft.Com.  Neither version works.

My SQL package was bundled with BackOffice Server for Small Businesses.
 The documentation said it was the 'Full Version'.

Any ideas ??

I now understand that I have an 'entailed' version (whatever that means)....
Still no solutions...
 (We've had this thing for less than a month.)

Thanks in Advance
    Brody Schmidt

2. install oracle8 on RH Linux6

3. Unable to Install SQL Server 6.5 client on workstation

4. Two simple questions

5. HELP - unable to install SP4 or SP5 for SQL 6.5

6. PDOXWIN and mailing labels

7. unable to install 6.5 client on windows 2000 workstation

8. (Fwd) Re: Informix Message Log

9. HELP-unable to install SP4 or SP5 on SQL 6.5

10. unable to install sp3 on SQL Server 6.5

11. unable to connect: sql 6.5

12. SQLSERVER 6.5 sp3: error 10004: Unable to connect to server

13. unable to connect to remote SQL server 6.5