large table help

Post by TG » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I ported an Informix table into my SQL Server 7 database.   This table was constructed with 358 columns.  SQL Server did not complain but, the creator of this gigantic table wants to have an access front-end.  When I tried linking this table over it didn't surprise me that Access would only view or link over 256 columns...

My  question is, how would I split this table up in SQL Server,  or will a pass through query work OK..

any good suggestions on SQL Server programming books.
Thanks
ANG

large table help

Post by Jerry Spive » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

TG - You could split the table up into two tables using a common join field.
However, DML statements would suffer.  Do you really need to display 256
columns? Is there a way from Access to limit the number of columns returned?
If not, you can create a view on your SQL table (limiting the number of
columns) and then link to the view (if Access supports this).

HTH

Jerry
Hi,

I ported an Informix table into my SQL Server 7 database.   This table was
constructed with 358 columns.  SQL Server did not complain but, the creator
of this gigantic table wants to have an access front-end.  When I tried
linking this table over it didn't surprise me that Access would only view or
link over 256 columns...

My  question is, how would I split this table up in SQL Server,  or will a
pass through query work OK..

any good suggestions on SQL Server programming books.
Thanks
ANG

1. upsizing large table help!

I have a database that consists of several tables, I've been able to
upsize all but one from Access97 to SQLServer using the upsizintg wizard.
The one that won't upsize contains about 30, 000 records.  I've tried to
export to a ODBC database but I get a "ODBC driver Timeout expired #0"
error.

Can anyone tell me how to configure SQLServer or Access to eliminate the
timeout error and let the computer get back to exporting that table?  Or
maybe a better way, I can't make heads or tales out of
these books yet...

Brian,

2. outer join not allowed ??

3. Update Large Table Help !!

4. SQL Server 6.5 on NT 4.0B2

5. large table help needed

6. Trim on Import

7. incomplete returns on simple queries to a large table - help!

8. Is My Database Vulnerable?

9. incomplete returns on simple queries to large tables - help!

10. Large Cursor updating Large Table

11. How do i speed up inserting a large amount of data into a very large table

12. Large deletes/inserts against large tables....