Setting up SQL server 7.0 in Windows XP Pro

Setting up SQL server 7.0 in Windows XP Pro

Post by Gregory M. Mascherin » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:41:26

I am new to setting up SQL and so this may just be a simple explanation or
it can't be done.  I recently bought Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition
that comes with SQL server 7.0 (standard I believe).  I am running Windows
XP Pro and have tried with no success to get SQL server to run.  I realize
that I can only install the client version on XP but was told by someone at
Microsoft tech support that I should still be able to setup SQL and design
my database in XP and only lack a couple of extra server aps.  However, when
I go into Enterprise Management to setup my server/database etc I am unable
to connect to my machine.  I keep getting errors that say the server isn't
started or the server doesn't exist.  I believe that I need the
'mssqlserver' service running to do anything but this service doesn't show
up in my services list in XP.  After several days of trying to get my
database going in XP I have had no luck and am unable to find a solution in
the Microsoft Knowledge base.  Please tell me how I get started (after I do
the initial install).

Setting up SQL server 7.0 in Windows XP Pro

Post by Wayne Snyde » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:23:47

In Enterprise Manager right click your server, and a context sensitive menu
will pop up with the start option... choose it..

--
Wayne Snyder SQL Server MVP
Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), C*te, NC

Setting up SQL server 7.0 in Windows XP Pro

Post by Gregory M. Mascherin » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:28:18

I get the following message when I attempt to do that:
'An error 1060 - (The specified service does not exist as an installed
service) occurred while performing this service operation on the MSSQLServer
service'
I need this service installed in order to connect to the server, I know that
much.  I assumed that it is installed when SQL Server is installed but
apparently not.  I have tried reinstalling SQL Server but to no avail.  Is
there maybe a registry fix that I need to do?  Any other thoughts?

Quote:> In Enterprise Manager right click your server, and a context sensitive
menu
> will pop up with the start option... choose it..

> --
> Wayne Snyder SQL Server MVP
> Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), C*te, NC
> (Please Respond to newsgroups)
> I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community.
> For details, visit <http://www.veryComputer.com/>

1. Installing SQL Server 7.0 desktop version on Windows XP Pro

If I install it by selecting 'Use the Local System
Account' it works.

If I install it by selecting 'Use a Domain User Account'
I get the following error....
The login account cannot be validated for the SQL Server
Service. Verify that the user name and password entered
are correct.' I am typing in the correct name and
password but I can't get past the error message.

I want to use the DTS from another SQL Server 7
installation to this SQL server. I understand to do that
I need to install it using a Domain User Account. Is this
true?

2. Approach Macro Help

3. Trying to set up SQL server 7.0 desktop version with Windows XP

4. update

5. SQL 7.0 on Windows XP Pro

6. SQL Debugging

7. Connectivity from XP Pro to SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server

8. ANNOUNCE: ChimneySweep 1.0 provides automated table-repair for Paradox/BDE

9. Setup SQL server on Windows XP Pro

10. SQL Server 2000 Dev on Windows XP Pro Question

11. sql server 7.0 on XP Pro

12. SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP Pro

13. SQL server 2000 set up on win xp pro