Export to Excel - problem with NULL

Post by Sean O'Rega » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:59:50

I have a 2 step DTS package which creates a table in an
Excel spreadsheet then populates it from values in a SQL
Server table.

A problem occurs when some columns contain null values.
It is as if the NULL columns from the source data are
ignored and the values from other columns are used instead
so that the data columns in the spreadsheet are shifted to
the left.

The platform is SQL Server 2000 and Excel 2000 running on
Windows 2000.  Latest service packs all round!

Any ideas?

Export to Excel - problem with NULL

Post by Darren Gree » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:23:21

Quote:>I have a 2 step DTS package which creates a table in an
>Excel spreadsheet then populates it from values in a SQL
>Server table.

>A problem occurs when some columns contain null values.
>It is as if the NULL columns from the source data are
>ignored and the values from other columns are used instead
>so that the data columns in the spreadsheet are shifted to
>the left.

>The platform is SQL Server 2000 and Excel 2000 running on
>Windows 2000.  Latest service packs all round!

>Any ideas?

Works fine for me. Are you running SQL 2000 SP1 on both the server AND
client that you are using to build and execute the package?

--
Darren Green
http://www.sqldts.com

1. SQL 2000 DTS export to Excel problem with Nulls

I have just upgraded to SQL 2000 from 7. I am having
problems with null placements within my Excel file after
running a DTS Package. But if I run the same query in the
Query Analyzer window then import the results into Excel
there is no problem. So it just occurs when using DTS.

Expected results and results from QA:
1,,,2,3

Actual results from DTS import

1,2,3,,,

For some reason it doesn't recognize the nulls and moves
data to the left. In the Transform Data Task Properties>
Options tab I've checked Use Fast Load and Keep null
values. Any suggestions would be helpful?

2. Restore database - DB NOT Operational

3. Export Null values to Excel cause left shifted values in XLS

4. Need Pick Reporting Help

5. Column display null while exporting from Excel Through DTS

6. Creating user bug ???

7. Null values exporting to Excel

8. proc library problem

9. DTS Export: How to have nulls export as blanks on fixed width export

10. DTS Export to Excel with Detailed Excel Formatting

11. Exporting recordset into Excel and opening Excel

12. Export to Excel - numbers are exported as text

13. Excel Null Problem