Use ftp site as a destination for a text file in DTS package

Use ftp site as a destination for a text file in DTS package

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 04:52:54

Elaine, you can't directly upload a file to an FTP server, using DTS. I
would suggest you to save the output to a local file. Then in the next step,
FTP that file to the server using some command line tool or an ActiveX
control.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

I am trying to create a DTS package to copy query result
to a text file on a ftp site.  However, the Import and
Export wizard gave me error message to show that the
destination is incorrect.  Does anyone have experience on
that?  Thanks a lot in advance.

Use ftp site as a destination for a text file in DTS package

Post by David McKinne » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 18:26:41

Question for Vyas,

I notice that in DTS (2000) there is an FTP task.  Are you
saying that this doesn't work? (I haven't tried it, but
may need to soon.)

Thanks,

Dave McKinney.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Elaine, you can't directly upload a file to an FTP

server, using DTS. I
Quote:>would suggest you to save the output to a local file.

Then in the next step,
>FTP that file to the server using some command line tool
or an ActiveX
>control.
>--
>HTH,
>Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

>I am trying to create a DTS package to copy query result
>to a text file on a ftp site.  However, the Import and
>Export wizard gave me error message to show that the
>destination is incorrect.  Does anyone have experience on
>that?  Thanks a lot in advance.

>.

Use ftp site as a destination for a text file in DTS package

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 18:54:46

It only downloads. Can't upload.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

Question for Vyas,

I notice that in DTS (2000) there is an FTP task.  Are you
saying that this doesn't work? (I haven't tried it, but
may need to soon.)

Thanks,

Dave McKinney.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Elaine, you can't directly upload a file to an FTP

server, using DTS. I
Quote:>would suggest you to save the output to a local file.

Then in the next step,
>FTP that file to the server using some command line tool
or an ActiveX
>control.
>--
>HTH,
>Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

>I am trying to create a DTS package to copy query result
>to a text file on a ftp site.  However, the Import and
>Export wizard gave me error message to show that the
>destination is incorrect.  Does anyone have experience on
>that?  Thanks a lot in advance.

>.

Use ftp site as a destination for a text file in DTS package

Post by David Sheaffer » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:39:54

If the ftp server is internal you can create a share on the ftp server and
then use the FTP task and specify the share as the destination.    However
you need to either run the package 1 time to create the output file and
then add the FTP task so that you can chose the output file as the source
file.  Alternatively, you might try using the Dynamic Properties task to
dynamically specify the source file for  the FTP task.

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.