Alter user defined data types

Post by Vladimir Tureni » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:42:31

Hi all!

I have "a little" problem with "User defined data types". I've created my
own data type (e.g. "FoodName") which is not null varchar(25). Now i need to
resize it from original 25 to (e.g.) 120 character length. But I realy don't
know how I can do it! I suspect that's impossible. Please, could somebody
help me how I can do that? I realy need help! :-(.. Thank you in advance!
Have a nice day!

Best regard
Vlado

Alter user defined data types

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:03:30

Unfortunately, it is impossible. (If SQL Server had implemented DOMAIN as in ANSI SQL, you would
have done ALTER DOMAIN.)
So, you have to change all tables that uses the datatype to something else, drop the dt, create
a new one and change it back to the UDT.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi all!

> I have "a little" problem with "User defined data types". I've created my
> own data type (e.g. "FoodName") which is not null varchar(25). Now i need to
> resize it from original 25 to (e.g.) 120 character length. But I realy don't
> know how I can do it! I suspect that's impossible. Please, could somebody
> help me how I can do that? I realy need help! :-(.. Thank you in advance!
> Have a nice day!

> Best regard
> Vlado

Alter user defined data types

Post by Vladimir Tureni » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:17:16

Ou! You don't please me! :-).... but I suspect it.... Thanks Tibi!

Quote:> Unfortunately, it is impossible. (If SQL Server had implemented DOMAIN as

in ANSI SQL, you would
Quote:> have done ALTER DOMAIN.)
> So, you have to change all tables that uses the datatype to something

else, drop the dt, create
Quote:> a new one and change it back to the UDT.

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > Hi all!

> > I have "a little" problem with "User defined data types". I've created
my
> > own data type (e.g. "FoodName") which is not null varchar(25). Now i
need to
> > resize it from original 25 to (e.g.) 120 character length. But I realy
don't
> > know how I can do it! I suspect that's impossible. Please, could
somebody
> > help me how I can do that? I realy need help! :-(.. Thank you in
advance!
> > Have a nice day!

> > Best regard
> > Vlado

Alter user defined data types

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:19:55

:-)

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Ou! You don't please me! :-).... but I suspect it.... Thanks Tibi!

> > Unfortunately, it is impossible. (If SQL Server had implemented DOMAIN as
> in ANSI SQL, you would
> > have done ALTER DOMAIN.)
> > So, you have to change all tables that uses the datatype to something
> else, drop the dt, create
> > a new one and change it back to the UDT.
> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Archive at:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > > Hi all!

> > > I have "a little" problem with "User defined data types". I've created
> my
> > > own data type (e.g. "FoodName") which is not null varchar(25). Now i
> need to
> > > resize it from original 25 to (e.g.) 120 character length. But I realy
> don't
> > > know how I can do it! I suspect that's impossible. Please, could
> somebody
> > > help me how I can do that? I realy need help! :-(.. Thank you in
> advance!
> > > Have a nice day!

> > > Best regard
> > > Vlado

1. How to alter User Defined Data Type

Hello,

I want to alter the width/type of a User Defined Data
Type. I searched for the same. Everybody suggests to drop
the type and recreate the same. Since its in the
Production and lot of dependent objects are there. It will
be very difficult to alter each and every object.

Is there any way to do the same in SQL 7 or SQL 2000. Or
is there any hidden extended procedures for the same.

Your suggestions and solutions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards

Sundar

2. Help Anyone (who has experience processing Long Ascii Strings)

3. How to alter User Defined Data Types

4. GETFILE() and Network directories

5. Compile error: User-defined data type not defined!

6. Can't read long varchar or clob form DB2

7. User-defined data type not defined

8. addnew record and adBoolean

9. alter a user defined type

10. Table type with user defined data type.

11. Change the data type of a user defined type

12. DAO in VB5 yields User-defined type not defined

13. How to define a user-defined type in ACCESS