Member Properties

Post by Charley Ky » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:00:05

I can get to Member Properties with a statement like this:

sProperty =
g_mdCatalog.CubeDefs(2).Dimensions(0).Hierarchies(0).Levels(4).Members(0).Pr
operties(4).Value

Deep as this is in an object hierarchy, it's quite slow. Is there a more
direct way to get to a member and its properties?

For example, dimensions are independent of the cubes. Therefore, if we are
enforcing unique member names we should be able to access member properties
with something like: g_mdCatalog.Dimensions(0).Members(0).Properties(4).

Charley Kyd

Member Properties

Post by Cristian Petculesc » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:10:53

No, as far as client applications are concerned (see OLEDB for OLAP spec),
dimensions exist only within a cube, not inside a database. Always. This is
why the hierarchy goes like this. If you're concerned about speed, I suggest
you don't use ADOMD but plain OLEDB code and perform your own
application-specific optimizations. ADOMD has just generic optimizations
which can never beat specific optimizations

Quote:> I can get to Member Properties with a statement like this:

> sProperty =

g_mdCatalog.CubeDefs(2).Dimensions(0).Hierarchies(0).Levels(4).Members(0).Pr
Quote:> operties(4).Value

> Deep as this is in an object hierarchy, it's quite slow. Is there a more
> direct way to get to a member and its properties?

> For example, dimensions are independent of the cubes. Therefore, if we are
> enforcing unique member names we should be able to access member
properties
> with something like: g_mdCatalog.Dimensions(0).Members(0).Properties(4).

> Charley Kyd

Member Properties

Post by Charley Ky » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:33:53

I'm new to MSOLAP and SQL Server. Can you provide a link to information
about using OLEDB?

Thanks.

Charley Kyd

> No, as far as client applications are concerned (see OLEDB for OLAP spec),
> dimensions exist only within a cube, not inside a database. Always. This
is
> why the hierarchy goes like this. If you're concerned about speed, I
suggest
> you don't use ADOMD but plain OLEDB code and perform your own
> application-specific optimizations. ADOMD has just generic optimizations
> which can never beat specific optimizations

> > I can get to Member Properties with a statement like this:

> > sProperty =

g_mdCatalog.CubeDefs(2).Dimensions(0).Hierarchies(0).Levels(4).Members(0).Pr

Quote:> > operties(4).Value

> > Deep as this is in an object hierarchy, it's quite slow. Is there a more
> > direct way to get to a member and its properties?

> > For example, dimensions are independent of the cubes. Therefore, if we
are
> > enforcing unique member names we should be able to access member
> properties
> > with something like: g_mdCatalog.Dimensions(0).Members(0).Properties(4).

> > Charley Kyd

Member Properties

Post by Cristian Petculesc » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:31:39

About OLEDB for OLAP:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/doc.htm#oledb   - there are two versions
(online and printable). OLEDB for OLAP defines extensions to OLEDB (so OLEDB
knowledge is required to read this spec).

ADO/ADOMD is coming together with the MDAC and it is a component that uses
OLEDB to access data from OLEDB OLAP data sources.

Client applications can use ADO/ADOMD or use directly OLEDB to communicate
with the Microsoft OLAP data source

> I'm new to MSOLAP and SQL Server. Can you provide a link to information
> about using OLEDB?

> Thanks.

> Charley Kyd

> > No, as far as client applications are concerned (see OLEDB for OLAP
spec),
> > dimensions exist only within a cube, not inside a database. Always. This
> is
> > why the hierarchy goes like this. If you're concerned about speed, I
> suggest
> > you don't use ADOMD but plain OLEDB code and perform your own
> > application-specific optimizations. ADOMD has just generic optimizations
> > which can never beat specific optimizations

> > > I can get to Member Properties with a statement like this:

> > > sProperty =

g_mdCatalog.CubeDefs(2).Dimensions(0).Hierarchies(0).Levels(4).Members(0).Pr
Quote:> > > operties(4).Value

> > > Deep as this is in an object hierarchy, it's quite slow. Is there a
more
> > > direct way to get to a member and its properties?

> > > For example, dimensions are independent of the cubes. Therefore, if we
> are
> > > enforcing unique member names we should be able to access member
> > properties
> > > with something like:

g_mdCatalog.Dimensions(0).Members(0).Properties(4).

Quote:

> > > Charley Kyd

1. Getting crazy with member properties in calc members - URGENT

Today I' m getting crazy....
I'm defining new member properties, and when I try to use them in calculated
members, I always get "property name is not valid".
For example, I define an address property in the Store dimension based on
the store_street_address,
then I want to show it in a calculated member like:
iif (isleaf([Store].currentmember),
([Store].currentmember.properties("Address")), " ")

In Foodmart (on Access) it works, while in SQL Server it doesn't (I
transferred the foodmard tables to SQL Server).

The point is that this is something I always did in the past, without
problems.
It seems that I can use, in calculated members, properties that I defined in
the past, but not newly defined properties!
No new properties are recognized in calculated members...neither numeric,
with or without VAL(), nor char.
This happens on all servers at my site, so this is not due to a server
corruption.
Did the member properties, after the 1st of May, stop working, or is my mind
f...up?

Francesco

2. MTS/distributed recordsets (ADO XML streaming??)

3. Member Property Within Calculated Member

4. Null and Zero length

5. Calculated Member using Member Properties

6. Querying a view

7. MDX - Member properties in a calculated member

8. NT performance

9. Calculated Members from Member Properties?

10. Member Properties for Calculated Members

11. Calculate new members using member properties

12. member properties and calculated members?

13. Calculated Member using Member Property