sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by Drago » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:56:05



Hi,

I am trying to instal SQL Server 2000 (developer edition) on Windows 2003
Server (Web Edition) and I receive the following message when starting the
installation:
"windows cannot open this program since it has been disabled"

I will appreciate any clue.

Dragos

 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by Drago » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:19:26


I have read the answer posted by Kris regarding sql server 2000 instalation
on windows 2003 web edition. Unfortunately, we are not able to install even
the client tools for SQL Server 2000.

Dragos


Quote:> Hi,

> I am trying to instal SQL Server 2000 (developer edition) on Windows 2003
> Server (Web Edition) and I receive the following message when starting the
> installation:
> "windows cannot open this program since it has been disabled"

> I will appreciate any clue.

> Dragos


 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by Bill Cheng [MSFT » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:33:06


Hi Dragos,

You cannot install SQL Server clients tools on Windows Server 2003, Web
Edition.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, can be used solely to deploy Web pages,
Web sites, Web applications, and Web services. Customers can use Windows
Server 2003, Web Edition, to install the following:

Web server software; for example, IIS.
Non-enterprise database engine software licensed to support not more than
25 concurrent users; for example, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine.
Web availability management software; for example, Microsoft Application
Center.

Why do you want to install that? The client stack (MDAC and ADO.Net ) is
already present on the Web Edition machine, so you can talk to SQL Server
on another machine.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------

| Subject: sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition
| Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:56:05 +0300
| Lines: 12
| X-Priority: 3
| X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
| X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
| X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
| NNTP-Posting-Host: wizrom-lirei.rdsnet.ro 62.231.65.71
| Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
| Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup:54325
| X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
|
| Hi,
|
| I am trying to instal SQL Server 2000 (developer edition) on Windows 2003
| Server (Web Edition) and I receive the following message when starting the
| installation:
| "windows cannot open this program since it has been disabled"
|
| I will appreciate any clue.
|
| Dragos
|
|
|

 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by Drago » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:00:01


Thank you, Bill. Indeed, it is not the best idea to install a "non-Web
serving applications" on a machine designed to host web applications, web
pages, web services and so on.

Dragos



> Hi Dragos,

> You cannot install SQL Server clients tools on Windows Server 2003, Web
> Edition.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx
> Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, can be used solely to deploy Web pages,
> Web sites, Web applications, and Web services. Customers can use Windows
> Server 2003, Web Edition, to install the following:

> Web server software; for example, IIS.
> Non-enterprise database engine software licensed to support not more than
> 25 concurrent users; for example, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop
Engine.
> Web availability management software; for example, Microsoft Application
> Center.

> Why do you want to install that? The client stack (MDAC and ADO.Net ) is
> already present on the Web Edition machine, so you can talk to SQL Server
> on another machine.

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> Regards,

> Bill Cheng
> Microsoft Support Engineer
> --------------------

> | Subject: sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition
> | Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:56:05 +0300
> | Lines: 12
> | X-Priority: 3
> | X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> | X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
> | X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
> | NNTP-Posting-Host: wizrom-lirei.rdsnet.ro 62.231.65.71
> | Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
> | Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup:54325
> | X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
> |
> | Hi,
> |
> | I am trying to instal SQL Server 2000 (developer edition) on Windows
2003
> | Server (Web Edition) and I receive the following message when starting
the
> | installation:
> | "windows cannot open this program since it has been disabled"
> |
> | I will appreciate any clue.
> |
> | Dragos
> |
> |
> |

 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by joesp » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:16:21


So, are you telling me that I cannot install a the database client on
the 2003 Web edition? So therefore the web edition cannot host data from
a database?

Or, say, suppose I wanted to host data in a database via a web server
(intranet or even extranet/internet), what do I do then?

Please clarify.

-joespr

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by Allan Mitchel » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:57:11


Web Edition can only have MSDE on it.  If you want to use a database for
your website then have a seperate SQL Server box and simply point to that.

--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA
www.SQLDTS.com
I support PASS - the definitive, global community
for SQL Server professionals - http://www.sqlpass.org


Quote:

> So, are you telling me that I cannot install a the database client on
> the 2003 Web edition? So therefore the web edition cannot host data from
> a database?

> Or, say, suppose I wanted to host data in a database via a web server
> (intranet or even extranet/internet), what do I do then?

> Please clarify.

> -joespr

> --
> Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

Post by joesp » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:59:25


(Sorry, I need to beat this to death until I understand it completely).

Here's the situation. There is a SQL Server 2000 database running on
another machine. I wanted to use Windows 2003 Server Web edition as the
web server, and retrieve data from the database for use by the web
server to return data in web pages.

Based on what I understand, I cannot install SQL Server 2000 client onto
the web server. IF I only use ODBC for connecting from the web server to
the database, I am OK. But the application of ours to run on the web
server requires more than ODBC, it also requires a database client
library on the web server, which worked with IIS on Windows 2000 and IIS
on Windows NT.

So... you are saying install MSDE. Basically, however, for an enterprise
level database, MSDE is too small and limited.

It appears that we need to abandon trying to use Windows Server 2003 Web
edition in the scenario described. We tested our web app on IIS on
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and it seems it works just fine.

Until we have a web app that is ODBC-only for DB connectivity, it seems
that we should not attempt Windows Server 2003 Web edition.

Can you confirm my thinking about non-use of web edition in the scenario
as described?

IN ADDITION, it appears that Windows Server 2003 Web edition cannot be
used to install other vendors database clients as well. For example, I
received the same error trying to install Oracle 9i client on Windows
Server 2003 Web edition. Although Microsoft ODBC can connect to
Microsoft SQL Server by the default ODBC driver for SQL Server without
needing an additional database client (which is great if you *only* need
ODBC for your app), some other database vendors [Oracle, Sybase, etc.]
require their database client in addition to whatever ODBC driver you
want to use just to even only use their ODBC driver. Hence, it appears
that Windows Server 2003 Web edition is not a good choice for hosting
data from large databases.

Comments?

Thanks.
-joespr

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

1. Installing MS SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003 Web Edition RTM

I'm testing the Windows 2003 Web Edtion RTM release for the company I
work for. But I can't install MS SQL Server 2000 Entreprise Edition on
this release...

I read on the MS website that SQL Server 2000 SP3 will work on Windows
2003 server... but I can't install the base version.

Does the Web Edition support SQL Server ENT?? I tried previously the
Entreprise Edtion of SQL 2000 and it installed successfully.

2. FW: ISM performance

3. Install SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 WEb Edition

4. SQL Server send a message to VB application ?

5. Sql server 2000 dev on Windows 2003 Web Edition

6. Disconnected recordset without a database?

7. Can I install SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 Web edition

8. Strange problem with icon for an exe

9. Problems installing SQL Server 2000 on Win 2003 (Web Edition)

10. SQL/MSDE admin on Windows 2003 Server - Web edition

11. Installing SQL2K in Windows Server 2003 (Web Edition)

12. JDBC connection to MSDE on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition - PROBLEM

13. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition