Failure to see System DSN in ODBC Administrator

Failure to see System DSN in ODBC Administrator

Post by Bria » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:19:26

I am having trouble setting up a System DSN in ODBC
Administrator.  I go through all of the setup steps,
including test connection (successful), but after
finishing, the DSN is not listed in the list of System
DSN's.  THis is on an XP Pro laptop connecting to a SQL
2000 Server,  I am using the Administrators UN & PW to
access the laptop.  I have setup several other laptops in
this environment (some W2K, some XP Pro) without problems,
but this one is giving me headaches.  Any ideas what might
be causing this?  Thanks.

Failure to see System DSN in ODBC Administrator

Post by Cindy Gross ( » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:15:36

You might be missing some permissions on your registry keys.

259569 PRB: Installing Third-Party Product Breaks Windows 2000 MDAC Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259569

1. On the Start menu, click Run, and then type "regedt32" (without the
   quotation marks) in the Run window to open the program.

2. On the HKEY_Local_Machine window, browse down to the folder ODBC located at:

                   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI

3. Click on the DSN you have created, and then click on the Security
   menu item and choose Permissions. Make sure that the appropriate
   account has permission to this registry key.

Cindy Gross, MCDBA, MCSE
http://cindygross.tripod.com

1. Failure to see System DSN in ODBC Administrator

I am having trouble setting up a System DSN in ODBC
Administrator.  I go through all of the setup steps,
including test connection (successful), but after
finishing, the DSN is not listed in the list of System
DSN's.  But each time I try to manually set it up, I am
prompted by the system asking if I want to overwrite the
existing DSN, so it is detecting the previous setup.  THis
then led me to the Registry where I did find a folder with
the ODBC files.  I deleted these from the Registry, tried
again, with the same results.

This is on an XP Pro laptop connecting to a SQL 2000
Server,  I am using the Administrators UN & PW to access
the laptop.  I have setup several other laptops in
this environment (some W2K, some XP Pro) without problems,
but this one is giving me headaches.  Any ideas what might
be causing this?  Thanks.

2. selecting long column data

3. no user, system or file DSN in odbc administrator

4. DB files

5. SYSTEM DSN DOES NOT SHOW UP IN ODBC ADMINISTRATOR

6. US-PA: King of Prussia-Oracle Database Administrator DBA

7. Changing "sa" to password protected database

8. ODBC DSN disappear from the system DSN tab

9. Creating ODBC System DSN by using ODBC API ?

10. Add a DSN to the ODBC Administrator

11. Convert system DSN to file DSN