Query Timing Out - When it didn't before

Query Timing Out - When it didn't before

Post by NewUse » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:27:59

I have a view that is run, and works without fail for small amounts of data.
I have to run this view in order to gather data for an export I do weekly.
Lately, we've been pumping up production, so the view takes longer and
longer to run.  I've reached the point now, though, that it times out while
gathering all the data.

The view gathers data from two places...tables and other views.

Is there a way I can fix this?  If so, can someone help me out and give me
the 'dumbed down' version, as I'm still relatively new working with SQL
Server.

Thanks for the help.

Query Timing Out - When it didn't before

Post by Kelly Flyn » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:40:54

Are you using Enterprise Manager?  It has a query timeout
of 30 seconds and I don't think you can change this
property.  If all you're doing is exporting the data, you
should look into using DTS - data transformation
services.  Right click to All tasks > export.  You'll get
a DTS wizard that will step you through exporting.  You
can save the package and execute it whenever you want, or
you can schedule it to run automatically.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a view that is run, and works without fail for

small amounts of data.
Quote:>I have to run this view in order to gather data for an
export I do weekly.
>Lately, we've been pumping up production, so the view
takes longer and
>longer to run.  I've reached the point now, though, that
it times out while
>gathering all the data.

>The view gathers data from two places...tables and other
views.

>Is there a way I can fix this?  If so, can someone help
me out and give me
>the 'dumbed down' version, as I'm still relatively new
working with SQL
>Server.

>Thanks for the help.

>.

Query Timing Out - When it didn't before

Post by NewUse » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 02:43:14

No, it's not technically exporting...the DTS won't work I don't believe.
I'm actually running the view to populate a recordset in my code, because I
need to manipulate the data (through the code) before outputting it to a
text file.

So, there's no way (to your knowledge) or working around this problem?  Is
there a way to make the view a stored procedure or something that would run
faster?

Quote:> Are you using Enterprise Manager?  It has a query timeout
> of 30 seconds and I don't think you can change this
> property.  If all you're doing is exporting the data, you
> should look into using DTS - data transformation
> services.  Right click to All tasks > export.  You'll get
> a DTS wizard that will step you through exporting.  You
> can save the package and execute it whenever you want, or
> you can schedule it to run automatically.

Post by Anith Se » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 02:52:00

If you are using ADO check your connection timeout. Try setting
it to 0.

- Anith

> No, it's not technically exporting...the DTS won't work I don't believe.
> I'm actually running the view to populate a recordset in my code, because
> need to manipulate the data (through the code) before outputting it to a
> text file.

> So, there's no way (to your knowledge) or working around this problem?  Is
> there a way to make the view a stored procedure or something that would
run
> faster?

> > Are you using Enterprise Manager?  It has a query timeout
> > of 30 seconds and I don't think you can change this
> > property.  If all you're doing is exporting the data, you
> > should look into using DTS - data transformation
> > services.  Right click to All tasks > export.  You'll get
> > a DTS wizard that will step you through exporting.  You
> > can save the package and execute it whenever you want, or
> > you can schedule it to run automatically.

I'm actually using DAO I believe....but I'll check.