ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

ODBC Connection Pooling    Vs      OLE DB Resource Pooling

Hi
Everyone
I am a Sql server DBA  at a  B2B Internet Startup
I have to determine which type of  pooling Should  we use to increase
overall performance
we use Clustering /Sqlserver /ADO/VB/ASP
There is no document which tells me which Pooling is Beneficial  for
Performance
If some one can help me with some Practical Advice

Thank you
John

ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

Post by Doo » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I'm no OS guru...but at the SQL2TheMax conference I attended a session on
this.  What stuck is that OLE-DB has less levels to go through to get to the
database than ODBC, therefore it's faster.

I stand corrected if I got that wrong as I don't have the session notes
handy...Friday is a telecommute day and they're at the office.

--
Doo
Senior Data Architect / DBA

Quote:> ODBC Connection Pooling    Vs      OLE DB Resource Pooling

> Hi
> Everyone
> I am a Sql server DBA  at a  B2B Internet Startup
> I have to determine which type of  pooling Should  we use to increase
> overall performance
> we use Clustering /Sqlserver /ADO/VB/ASP
> There is no document which tells me which Pooling is Beneficial  for
> Performance
> If some one can help me with some Practical Advice

> Thank you
> John

ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

Post by Gert E.R. Draper » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:00:00

One big difference is that ODBC is implementing it in the ODBC driver
manager, where OLEDB it is the provider implementing this, therefore the
implementation is much better and more reliable.
-GertD

ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

Post by Doo » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hey now,

OK, I looked and was correct.

The MDAC path to a SQL Server is:

ADO

OLEDB---------|

  |                         |-SQL SERVER

ODBC-----------|

The code path is

                                                ADO or other

                                                OLEDB Consumer

                        OLE DB
OLE DB

                        Core Services
Core Services

                        Native OLE DB Provider                         OLE
DB Provider

for ODBC Drivers

                        Database

ODBC

Core Services

ODBC Driver

Database

You can see that the code path for ODBC on the right has two more layers to
go through than the OLD DB directly does on the left.

You do not want to store connections in the session object, but use OLE DB
Session Pooling.

Your DSN-less connection will look like:

SConn = "Provider = MSDASQL;Password=??;UID=??;Driver = SQL
Server;server=???"

For a Native Provider, the shortest route in, use:

SConn = "provider=SQLOLEDB;server=MyServer;UID=??, PWD=??"

HTH,

Doo

--
Doo
Senior Data Architect / DBA

> I'm no OS guru...but at the SQL2TheMax conference I attended a session on
> this.  What stuck is that OLE-DB has less levels to go through to get to
the
> database than ODBC, therefore it's faster.

> I stand corrected if I got that wrong as I don't have the session notes
> handy...Friday is a telecommute day and they're at the office.

> --
> Doo
> Senior Data Architect / DBA
> PlanetJam Media Group

> > ODBC Connection Pooling    Vs      OLE DB Resource Pooling

> > Hi
> > Everyone
> > I am a Sql server DBA  at a  B2B Internet Startup
> > I have to determine which type of  pooling Should  we use to increase
> > overall performance
> > we use Clustering /Sqlserver /ADO/VB/ASP
> > There is no document which tells me which Pooling is Beneficial  for
> > Performance
> > If some one can help me with some Practical Advice

> > Thank you
> > John

1. ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

ODBC Connection Pooling    Vs      OLE DB Resource Pooling

Hi
Everyone
I am a Sql server DBA  at a  B2B Internet Startup
I have to determine which type of  pooling Should  we use to increase
overall performance
we use Clustering /Sqlserver /ADO/VB/ASP
There is no document which tells me which Pooling is Beneficial  for
Performance
If some one can help me with some Practical Advice

Thank you
John

2. Data base

3. Doc fix for INSERT ... (DEFAULT, ...)

4. @@SERVERNAME

5. Java connection pooling vs oracle connection pooling

6. Opening disconnected recordset

7. OLEDB Resource Pooling (database connection pooling) without MTS

8. connection pooling - to pool or not to pool

9. Tools to monitor OLE DB Resource Pooling???

10. OLE DB Resource Pooling

11. How configure OLE DB Resource Pooling with ADO ?