How to restore this?

Post by Santhosh K. Nai » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    I received a SQLServer Backup file which contained 3 database
backups. Now how do I restore all of them? Could not figure this out.
This is kinda urgent. :-(

thanks in advance
--Santhosh

How to restore this?

Post by Brian Knigh » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

*Create a database shell for the restore.
*Click you right mouse button on the newly created database, and select
restore.
*Select From Device
*Add File
*Select the appropriate file dump you received
*Under options, select Overwrite Existing Database
*Change the physical path under options also to reflect the physical path of
the newly created database
*Click restore now!

As long as the 2 database servers are running under the same sort order,
you're in business.

--
Brian Knight
http://www.swynk.com/friends/knight

Quote:> Hi,
>     I received a SQLServer Backup file which contained 3 database
> backups. Now how do I restore all of them? Could not figure this out.
> This is kinda urgent. :-(

> thanks in advance
> --Santhosh

How to restore this?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Mon, 06 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Santosh,

Get a consultant doing it if it is really urgent.
Or, take the time to read about the RESTORE statement in Books online.
Especially the HEADERONLY and FILELISTONLY options.

Restoring in a pre-7 system is much more messier than in 7.0.
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi,
>     I received a SQLServer Backup file which contained 3 database
> backups. Now how do I restore all of them? Could not figure this out.
> This is kinda urgent. :-(

> thanks in advance
> --Santhosh

1. Database restore error - cannot restore

I lost a bunch of records in one of my tables and would like to simply
restore the table from last night's backup.  I run a complete backup, one
every night at about 1am.

Perhaps there's a better way, but here's what I've tried:

1) I created a blank, dummy database called "dbrestore".

2) Using EM, I performed a Restore Database where I restored to the
dbrestore database from the production database's backups.  I selected
"database" for the restore option (as opposed to "filegroups or files" or
"from backup device")

3) I choose my latest backup from the "first backup to restore" drop down.
The latest one is then selected in the dialog below.

4) I click on the Options tab and "force restore over existing database"

5) "Ensure Leave database as operational" is checked

The error I get is:

Logical file "dbname_log" is not part of the database 'testrestore'.  Use
RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the logical filenames. RESTORE DATABASE is
terminating abnormally.

Please help or give me a better solution.

_____
DC G

2. SQL Server 2000 setup failed

3. Restore sp wont restore extended properties!!!

4. IPv6 Support for INET/CIDR types.

5. Restoring databases to another server from restored files

6. Not Sure how to match 2 dates!!!

7. attempt to restore, said db was dumped under diff sort order, how to restore it

8. #temporary tables

9. Urgent Restore problem with SQL Server's restore utility

10. Restore error when restoring between different servers

11. Restoring a database using the RESTORE (T-SQL)

12. SQL 6.5 DB Restoring vs SQL 7.0 DB Restoring

13. Restore database error - unable to restore