Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Post by Amy Fa » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:51:54

We have a legacy database on SQL Server 6.5. However, SQL
Server 6.5 on that server crashed, and the database backup
file got lost. But the database dat file is still intact.
Even though I reinstalled SQL Server 6.5 on that server, I
do not know how to attach the dat file back.

I need to get the data back to SQL Server whatever version.
If I can get the data back to SQL Server 6.5, I will
upgrade it to newer version later. If I can get the data
directly to SQL Server 7 or 2000 from the old 6.5 dat
data, it will be great.

So, anyone can help on the command to attach a SQL server
6.5 dat file back to SQL Server (any version)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Amy

Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:07:09

Been a while since I worked with 6.5! How about creating a new database on
the same device and disk layout, stopping the server, replacing the new
files with the old files from previous installaiton, restarting the server?!

--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

We have a legacy database on SQL Server 6.5. However, SQL
Server 6.5 on that server crashed, and the database backup
file got lost. But the database dat file is still intact.
Even though I reinstalled SQL Server 6.5 on that server, I
do not know how to attach the dat file back.

I need to get the data back to SQL Server whatever version.
If I can get the data back to SQL Server 6.5, I will
upgrade it to newer version later. If I can get the data
directly to SQL Server 7 or 2000 from the old 6.5 dat
data, it will be great.

So, anyone can help on the command to attach a SQL server
6.5 dat file back to SQL Server (any version)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Amy

Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Post by Amy Fa » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:28:10

Thank you for the thought. I just tried but the database
became suspect after I replace the dat files.

Hope other people can give more suggestion.

Thank you.

Amy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Been a while since I worked with 6.5! How about creating
a new database on
>the same device and disk layout, stopping the server,
replacing the new
>files with the old files from previous installaiton,

restarting the server?!
Quote:

>--
>HTH,
>Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
>SQL Server FAQ, articles, code samples, interview

>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

>We have a legacy database on SQL Server 6.5. However, SQL
>Server 6.5 on that server crashed, and the database backup
>file got lost. But the database dat file is still intact.
>Even though I reinstalled SQL Server 6.5 on that server, I
>do not know how to attach the dat file back.

>I need to get the data back to SQL Server whatever
version.
>If I can get the data back to SQL Server 6.5, I will
>upgrade it to newer version later. If I can get the data
>directly to SQL Server 7 or 2000 from the old 6.5 dat
>data, it will be great.

>So, anyone can help on the command to attach a SQL server
>6.5 dat file back to SQL Server (any version)?

>Thank you very much in advance.

>Amy

>.

Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 18:10:07

Amy,

SQL Server 6.5 does not support any direct equivalent to the SQL Server 7.0
/ 2000 "attach" feature.

You will have to use, if I remember correctly, the DISK REINIT and DISK
REFIT commands documented in the SQL Server 6.5 Books Online.

After you see the work involved with DISK REINIT and DISK REFIT you will
appreciate the work and effort expended by Microsoft in replacing these with
the ability to attach a SQL Server database file.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> We have a legacy database on SQL Server 6.5. However, SQL
> Server 6.5 on that server crashed, and the database backup
> file got lost. But the database dat file is still intact.
> Even though I reinstalled SQL Server 6.5 on that server, I
> do not know how to attach the dat file back.

> I need to get the data back to SQL Server whatever version.
> If I can get the data back to SQL Server 6.5, I will
> upgrade it to newer version later. If I can get the data
> directly to SQL Server 7 or 2000 from the old 6.5 dat
> data, it will be great.

> So, anyone can help on the command to attach a SQL server
> 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server (any version)?

> Thank you very much in advance.

> Amy

Attach SQL Server 6.5 dat file back to SQL Server

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:21:04

The DISK REFIT command will give you the database back (it is essentially the "create database"
command). Make sure that you have refreshed in EM etc until you decide that it doesn't work.
That message is only a general warning message.

Of course, you have to have executed your DISK REINIT commands correctly (fragments and stuff),
so they correspond to your physical files.

I suggest that you contact MS Support if you still have problems. This type of thing is very
hard to do over a newsgroup, not to mention that the old architecture is fading for most of
us...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi,

>      I couldn't get my database back using these commands.
> DISK REFIT returns "disk refit may not have the correct
> segment map information in Sysusages. Please review these
> after the command completes to verify their accuracy".
> What can I do?
>       After this steps, I suppose to create the lost
> database using this device, isn't it?

> Thanks

1. 6.5 attach dat file from different server

I got a dat file from a different server. I have to access the
database in this file. I have no idea how the database name is and
which tables are in that database.

I tried it that way:
- create a new database
- shutdown
- exchange the .dat files
- restart

However, SQl Server fails on starting the database.

Any help is gratly appreciated.

Stefan

2. Bogosity in new unknown-type resolution code

3. Re-attach SQL 6.5 .DAT files?

4. 1.5 TB Warehouse: Informix or DB2/MVS?

5. attaching DAT files in SQL 6.5

6. disabling SetAccessOption

7. attach DAT file in SQL 6.5

8. Oracle positions in sunny FLORIDA

9. Relinking a .dat file back into SQL 6.5