Default Password for SQL Server on Install?

Post by Peter Olcot » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:41:50

I want to export the "Authors" table to MS Access to
test some example ADO C++ code. It is asking for a
password, and I don't know what it is.

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:23:35

What version of SQL Server?  Did you recently install the server, or is this one that has been installed for a while?  Do you have a Database Administrator that might be in charge of this database that you can contact in order to receive a user and password?

If this is a server that you installed, the (sa) password might be empty (unless you set it during install).  If this is a server that someone else installed, it most likely has a password and you will need to contact someone in order to receive a valid user name and password that you can use.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

> I want to export the "Authors" table to MS Access to
> test some example ADO C++ code. It is asking for a
> password, and I don't know what it is.

Post by Peter Olcot » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:31:33

This is SQL Server 7.0, the developer version. It is only
installed on my hard-drve, not on a network. It is the
free version that comes with MS VC++ 6.0.

What version of SQL Server?  Did you recently install the server, or is this one that has been
installed for a while?  Do you have a Database Administrator that might be in charge of this
database that you can contact in order to receive a user and password?

If this is a server that you installed, the (sa) password might be empty (unless you set it during
install).  If this is a server that someone else installed, it most likely has a password and you
will need to contact someone in order to receive a valid user name and password that you can use.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I want to export the "Authors" table to MS Access to
> test some example ADO C++ code. It is asking for a
> password, and I don't know what it is.

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:17:08

I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
Or create a login and password that you can use.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

> This is SQL Server 7.0, the developer version. It is only
> installed on my hard-drve, not on a network. It is the
> free version that comes with MS VC++ 6.0.

> What version of SQL Server?  Did you recently install the server, or is this one that has been
> installed for a while?  Do you have a Database Administrator that might be in charge of this
> database that you can contact in order to receive a user and password?

> If this is a server that you installed, the (sa) password might be empty (unless you set it during
> install).  If this is a server that someone else installed, it most likely has a password and you
> will need to contact someone in order to receive a valid user name and password that you can use.

> --
> Keith, SQL Server MVP

> > I want to export the "Authors" table to MS Access to
> > test some example ADO C++ code. It is asking for a
> > password, and I don't know what it is.

Post by Peter Olcot » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:36:39

What is the sa login?
(I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
except that it is called SQL server).

I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
Or create a login and password that you can use.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:34:50

sa is the system admistrator account.  If you have not set the password (during the initial install or during installation of SQL Server Service Pack 4) it will be empty.  SQL Server has two methods of authentication.  Windows and SQL Server.  Windows authentication is based on the Windows accounts.  SQL Server authentication is based on a separate user name and password that are not tied to the Windows network password.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

> What is the sa login?
> (I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
> except that it is called SQL server).

> I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
> Or create a login and password that you can use.

> --
> Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Tim Morriso » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:37:39

'sa' stands for "SQL Administrator".  It is the MASTER login that cannot be
changed or deleted. If you have the sa password, you can do anything.  This
is why it is VERY important that if your SQL Server (or MSDE) is exposed to
the internet, you MUST change the default password (which is blank)

Tim Morrison

> What is the sa login?
> (I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
> except that it is called SQL server).

message

> I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
> Or create a login and password that you can use.

> --
> Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Peter Olcot » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:21:30

Okay, now what is the SQL Administrator's Username:   ???

> 'sa' stands for "SQL Administrator".  It is the MASTER login that cannot be
> changed or deleted. If you have the sa password, you can do anything.  This
> is why it is VERY important that if your SQL Server (or MSDE) is exposed to
> the internet, you MUST change the default password (which is blank)

> Tim Morrison

> > What is the sa login?
> > (I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
> > except that it is called SQL server).

> message

> > I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
> > Or create a login and password that you can use.

> > --
> > Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Peter Olcot » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:26:09

All that I am trying to do is to export the Authors table
to Microsoft Access so that I can get a sample C++
program to work. I am using the "Import and Export Data"
utility that comes with MS SQL Server 7.0. It asking me
for a password, and a few other things. and basically
won't work.

sa is the system admistrator account.  If you have not set the password (during the initial install
or during installation of SQL Server Service Pack 4) it will be empty.  SQL Server has two methods
of authentication.  Windows and SQL Server.  Windows authentication is based on the Windows
accounts.  SQL Server authentication is based on a separate user name and password that are not tied
to the Windows network password.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

> What is the sa login?
> (I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
> except that it is called SQL server).

> I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a password.
> Or create a login and password that you can use.

> --
> Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Kalen Delane » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:45:55

'sa' is the default login name, for the administrator.

--
HTH
----------------

> Okay, now what is the SQL Administrator's Username:   ???

> > 'sa' stands for "SQL Administrator".  It is the MASTER login that cannot
be
> > changed or deleted. If you have the sa password, you can do anything.
This
> > is why it is VERY important that if your SQL Server (or MSDE) is exposed
> > the internet, you MUST change the default password (which is blank)

> > Tim Morrison

> > > What is the sa login?
> > > (I am brand new to SQL Server, and don't know anything about it,
> > > except that it is called SQL server).

in
> > message

> > > I guess you could try connecting with the sa login and '' for a
password.
> > > Or create a login and password that you can use.

> > > --
> > > Keith, SQL Server MVP

Post by Peter Olcot » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:16:11

Well then something else is wrong.
I am trying to run Import and Export Data SQL Server 7.0,
and it refuses to work, using sa, and nothing for the password.
It gives me Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error Description: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server
does not exist or access denied. I can get into SQL Server using
the other programs that come with it, so I know that SQL Server exists.