Newbie question... ODBC and SQL server 6.5 Question

Post by Jason Mow » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>We have set up an intranet NT 4.0 server with the TCP/IP network
>protocol and installed SQL Server 6.5 with TCP/IP and Name Pipes
>Protocol.   We can get a trusted connection with SQL Server 6.5
>through ODBC.   But we can't get a login with password connection to
>the SQL  Server through  ODBC.   How do we set up the SQL Server 6.5
>and/or ODBC  on NT 4.0 server box to obtain a login password
>connection for the client.

Go into the SQL Server Enterprise Manager and choose:
Server --> SQL Server --> Configure.  Click on the Security tab.  Now,
choose either mixed or standard security.

Restart the SQL Server, and voila!

With the mixed security, it allows both trusted connection AND
standard connections (like entering a login name and password).  It
also allows you to still use the trusted named pipes security (if you
choose trusted connection in your ODBC data source).

The standard security will not use named pipes, and will always
require a password and login.

Just keep in mind that in order to use the standard security within
mixed, disable your trusted connections in your ODBC data source!

Hope that helps :-)

Cheers!
Jason Mowat

"Those who use databases and eat sausages would
probably be more comfortable if they didn't watch
either being made." --Al Foster

Post by 74551.2.. » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We have set up an intranet NT 4.0 server with the TCP/IP network
protocol and installed SQL Server 6.5 with TCP/IP and Name Pipes
Protocol.   We can get a trusted connection with SQL Server 6.5
through ODBC.   But we can't get a login with password connection to
the SQL  Server through  ODBC.   How do we set up the SQL Server 6.5
and/or ODBC  on NT 4.0 server box to obtain a login password
connection for the client.

Thanks for any information concerning this problem
Gerry