ODBC character translation

Post by User » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:05:31

When should I turn on/off the "perform character translation" option
in the ODBC datasource setup? The situation is follows:

Server:
-------
Windows 2000 Server SP2 English
SQL Server 2000 SP2 English

Client App
------
Windows 2000 worstation SP2 Traditional Chinese
   (however regional settings is set to US English )
Access 2000 SR-1 Traditional Chinese (ODBC table links)

Within the Access app, I have a text box bound to a SQL nvarchar column.

1) When nvarchar is declared with <256 length, Access maps this to a text
field.
Things work fine. The user can type both English and Chinese characters into
the Access
text box and the data is stored and retrieved correctly.

2) When nvarchar is declared with >=256 length, Access maps this to a memo
field.
If the user type Chinese characters into the text box, the data becomes
garbled
unless "Perform character translation" is turned OFF in the ODBC dsn.
Then one can enter Chinese characters and store them correctly.

========
A) This seems backwards as I would expect that going across different
Windows language versions one would want character translation on, not off

B) With nvarchar(<256) it works regardless of the translation setting

Does anybody know what's going on or have a logical explaination ?

1. ODBC character translation (OEM to ANSI)

Hello...

we are (still) developing an Access 2.0-application on Windows NT 4.0
(SP3) against a SQL-Server 6.5 (sp4) over ODBC 2.65.0281. All machines
are running with "German(Germany)" locale, the server uses CodePage 850.

Our customer complains about -characters converting to ")" or "_"...
now we are investigating the issue (By the way - I'm open for any
insights about the how and why of this specific phenomenon...)

Right now I am specifically interested in any information about the
exact rules of character conversion on ODBC level. Is there a listing of
character tales and mappings used by ODBC or the CodePage Translators ?

Thanx for any help you can give me...

A. Becherer
Sema Group CGTec GmbH, Mainz, Germany

2. Shift-Click

3. Cyrillic characters translation in ODBC

4. function to return field position

5. Character Translation, NLS, ODBC, 7.x, 8.x, Solaris, Win NT 4.0

6. How to delay the execution of an SQL statement?

7. Character Translation Problem!!!

8. REPLACE INTO table a la mySQL

9. Automatic character translation in .NET Provider

10. character translation problem

11. Automatic Character Translation in .NET Provider

12. SQL / ASP Extended character translation problems

13. Translation for character