Help - Queries filling transaction log

Post by Ale » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a several queries that run every night on my database, filling up
the transaction log. If a issued the queries with a COMMIT, would that
stop them filling the transaction log ?  I am using SQL Server 6.5.

Thanks in advance

Alee

Help - Queries filling transaction log

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a several queries that run every night on my database, filling up
> the transaction log. If a issued the queries with a COMMIT, would that
> stop them filling the transaction log ?  I am using SQL Server 6.5.

 Alee,

 A commit would only help if you also had truncate log on checkpoint set, and
even then the log may not clear fast enough.  You really need to read a good
SQL Server book like SQL Server 6.5 Unleashed (latest edition) or SQL Server
DBA Survival guide (latest edition).  For now, just increase the size of the
log segment onto a new device.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

Help - Queries filling transaction log

Post by Matt Townsen » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

a query should not affect the transaction log

matt