SQL 6.5 to SQL 2000 migration issues

Post by Phil » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:58:01

Are there any known issues out there regarding migrating
data from a SQL 6.5 server to a SQL 2000 server?

We are setting up a new SQL 2000 server and need to
migrate the data from 6.5 to 2000...just wanted to know if
anybody had ever heard of any issues?

Thx,

Phil

SQL 6.5 to SQL 2000 migration issues

Post by Howard Lon » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:50:23

Hi Phil

Quote:> Are there any known issues out there regarding migrating
> data from a SQL 6.5 server to a SQL 2000 server?

> We are setting up a new SQL 2000 server and need to
> migrate the data from 6.5 to 2000...just wanted to know if
> anybody had ever heard of any issues?

Yes. Most (such as syntax changes and some performance related issues) are
documented at Microsoft.com but sadly they are not all in a single document
which says "Things to note when upgrading".

Because the optimiser has been re-written, any performance tweaks you might
have used in 6.5 will often no longer work in 2000 in particular with OLTP
systems in my experience.

If you have a large number of systems, or just a large system be prepared
for some serious performance testing and tweaking. You will certainly have
to modify the code of any database which is anything other than trivial.

For example, leaving on auto create and auto update stats can be a good
thing. But for upgrades from 6.5 this is not always the case because things
may have been historically tweaked without this.

The nature of problems often show themselves in serialisation under SQL
Server 2000, or just generally slow performance such as stored procedure
recompilation.

The good news is that the Profiler, once you've figured it out, is the best
tool there is for figuring out performance related issues.

Certainly install with SQL2k SP3!

I have a couple of undocumented gothas at http://www.hanlincrest.com

Kind Regards, Howard

SQL 6.5 to SQL 2000 migration issues

Post by Phil » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:22:30

Howard,

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure and check out the link
you provided as well.

Phil

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Phil

>> Are there any known issues out there regarding migrating
>> data from a SQL 6.5 server to a SQL 2000 server?

>> We are setting up a new SQL 2000 server and need to
>> migrate the data from 6.5 to 2000...just wanted to know
if
>> anybody had ever heard of any issues?

>Yes. Most (such as syntax changes and some performance
related issues) are
>documented at Microsoft.com but sadly they are not all in
a single document
>which says "Things to note when upgrading".

>Because the optimiser has been re-written, any

performance tweaks you might
Quote:>have used in 6.5 will often no longer work in 2000 in

particular with OLTP

Quote:>systems in my experience.

>If you have a large number of systems, or just a large
system be prepared
>for some serious performance testing and tweaking. You
will certainly have
>to modify the code of any database which is anything
other than trivial.

>For example, leaving on auto create and auto update stats
can be a good
>thing. But for upgrades from 6.5 this is not always the
case because things
>may have been historically tweaked without this.

>The nature of problems often show themselves in

serialisation under SQL
Quote:>Server 2000, or just generally slow performance such as
stored procedure
>recompilation.

>The good news is that the Profiler, once you've figured
it out, is the best
>tool there is for figuring out performance related issues.

>Certainly install with SQL2k SP3!

>I have a couple of undocumented gothas at

http://www.hanlincrest.com

Quote: