SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up

Post by Ric Smit » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi. What is the SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up.

Thanks.

--
Ric

SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up

Post by Shawn Clar » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Ric,

Can you give us an explanation of what you mean? If you are talking about
how you can have list boxes with Access where you put in a value pair list
then the equivalent would be a table on the sql server that contains the
value pair for all the lookups. The front-end app would then query the
lookup table to get a list of values and display them. I even think that
Access has the ability to create the select list from a table. If that is
the case then you setup a linked table to the sql table and viola you are
done. :)

--
Shawn Clark
Senior Software Consultant

Quote:> Hi. What is the SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up.

> Thanks.

> --
> Ric

SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up

Post by Ric Smit » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yeah that's what I was talking about. I couldn't find anything on
linking tables in my SQL Server book. By the way I'm using 6.5.
Is there any other terminology for linking  tables?

Thanks.

--
Ric

Post by Ryszard Py?anowsk » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi. What is the SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up.

> Thanks.

Simply use:

SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up

Post by Shawn Clar » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Ric,

Hmm... again a little vague as to what you are asking. If you are wanting to
know how to link to an SQL table through Access then check out "How do I
link a table?" in the Access help. The main thing that you need to
understand is that SQL Server sees all tables as the same. They have some
structure and store data. The server doesn't know what the data is used for
or really care. It is up to the front-end/client to determine how to
use/manipulate/display that data. With Access it is sort of different as
Access can store as well as use/manipulate/display the data so you sort to
have to change your frame of mind when thinking about SQL Server and Access.
Think of SQL Server as a data storage and Access as your data display
application.

--
Shawn Clark
Senior Software Consultant
Meridian Technology Group

Quote:> Yeah that's what I was talking about. I couldn't find anything on
> linking tables in my SQL Server book. By the way I'm using 6.5.
> Is there any other terminology for linking  tables?

> Thanks.

> --
> Ric

SQL Server equivalent to Access Look-Up

Post by Ric Smit » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Shawn.
I've always linked tables in my SQL querys with
JOIN's but I guess I was just trying to find
out if there was a more efficient way of doing
this on this. I knew that Access had the "look-up wizard"
but I didn't know if there was an equivalent in SQL Server.

I'd prefer to keep using joins and not worry about linking
tables, but since I'm learning I want to make sure I'm
developing good procedures and methodology now so if
I ever develop a large website the database calls won't be
slow as molases.

By the way, are there any particular resources (books,websites)
you know of.

Thanks Again.

Ric

Quote:> Hmm... again a little vague as to what you are asking. If you are wanting
> know how to link to an SQL table through Access then check out "How do I
> link a table?" in the Access help. The main thing that you need to
> understand is that SQL Server sees all tables as the same. They have some
> structure and store data. The server doesn't know what the data is used
for
> or really care. It is up to the front-end/client to determine how to
> use/manipulate/display that data. With Access it is sort of different as
> Access can store as well as use/manipulate/display the data so you sort to
> have to change your frame of mind when thinking about SQL Server and
Access.
> Think of SQL Server as a data storage and Access as your data display
> application.

1. SQL 7 and concurrent look-ups

On a 500mhz PIII (256 megs of RAM), how many concurrent connections could be
made?

I know that's tough to answer (as queries very in complexity), but I'm
looking for a ballpark figure.

I can say this will be used in a web environment.

Thanks,

2. Searching dBase files by date field

3. Access counter type equivalent in SQL-Server 6.0

4. SQL select where

5. SQL Server equivalent to Access' Format function

6. Multivalued parameters to sp

7. SQL Server equivalent to Access Memo data type

8. multiple row output from procedure

9. Looking for equivalent MS SQL for MySQL ...... Command

10. look ups

11. Look ups

12. Problems with look-ups

13. Look-ups on two fields