MS SQL Server 6.0 case sensitivity question

MS SQL Server 6.0 case sensitivity question

Post by Brad.Hei.. » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

My boss just came to me with a question, and we have come up with
what we think is the best answer, but we'd like to hear what others
think as well.

The problem is this:  One of our projects uses a (large) SQL Server
database which does exclusively case-insensitive searches.  Suddenly,
someone decides that users would like to be able to do case-sensitive
searches, even if for technical reasons we prefer (and may even need)
to use case-insensitive searches for the internals.

In other words, how does one do a case-sensitive search on a
Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 database set up for case-insensitve searches?

We came up with a kludge:  Use an extended stored procedure to call
a C program that takes the operands of the comparison as arguments
and returns a 0 or +-1 based on a case-sensitive comparison.

Can anyone tell us, first, if this will work, and second, is there a
better way without turning on case-sensistivity in SQL Server?

If you have a reply, please either post here with the work "case" in

Thanks,
- Brad

MS SQL Server 6.0 case sensitivity question

Post by Vince Iacobon » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Brad,
        That sounds like it would work.  When we faced this question, we also came
up with kludgy work around:  In a stored procedure, search for the column
as normal and put the results into a temp table.  Then, convert the search
string into a varbinary string and put into a variable, then search the
temp table search column also converted in the same way to a varbinary
string.  The results you get from this second search are the ones that
match case-sensitive.

        If this didn't parse out, e-mail me and I'll give you some more detail...

                                Vince

> My boss just came to me with a question, and we have come up with
> what we think is the best answer, but we'd like to hear what others
> think as well.

> The problem is this:  One of our projects uses a (large) SQL Server
> database which does exclusively case-insensitive searches.  Suddenly,
> someone decides that users would like to be able to do case-sensitive
> searches, even if for technical reasons we prefer (and may even need)
> to use case-insensitive searches for the internals.

> In other words, how does one do a case-sensitive search on a
> Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 database set up for case-insensitve searches?

> We came up with a kludge:  Use an extended stored procedure to call
> a C program that takes the operands of the comparison as arguments
> and returns a 0 or +-1 based on a case-sensitive comparison.

> Can anyone tell us, first, if this will work, and second, is there a
> better way without turning on case-sensistivity in SQL Server?

> If you have a reply, please either post here with the work "case" in

> Thanks,
> - Brad

MS SQL Server 6.0 case sensitivity question

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Brad,

Using an xp is ok, but how will you handle multiple rows - using a cursor?  If
you HAVE to have this situation, then I'd be considering two separate SQL
Servers kept-in-synch.  One as case-sensitive, the other not.

 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 3.50 build 147 (32-bit) on NT 4.0

1. Question on Scope of Case-Sensitivity on a Case-Sensitive SQL Server 7.0/2000

We are planning on setting up a development SQL Server with Case-Sensitive
sort order.  We have never had this configuration before and I have a few
questions, that BOL did not answer:

1.  Are all database object ( table, procedure and column names, etc.. )
case sensitive as well?

2.  Are SQL Server reserved words case sensitive (i.e. SELECT, INSERT, etc).

3.  Are built in functions like GETDATE() and SUSER_SNAME() case sensitive?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Color property of field in a table

3. Case sensitivity for table and column names for MS SQL Server 6.5

4. Help w/ADO Error -2147217900 (800040e14)

5. Case Sensitivity and MS Sql Server

6. Accessing AS Server from non-trusted box

7. SQL Server and case sensitivity

8. Problem accessing DynamicPropertiesTaskAssignment properties

9. Case-sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5

10. Case Sensitivity in SQL Server

11. Case sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5

12. Changing the Font and Case Sensitivity of SQL Server without reinstalling

13. Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server