MS Internet Server can't connect to SQL Server ODBC source

Post by Burton M. Strauss II » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I have configured an NT 3.51 Server with the 1.0 release of MS Internet
> Information Server.  I configured SQL Server 6.0 drivers and then the
> corresponding 32-bit ODBC drivers (ver 2.5) to access a remote SQL
> database.

> The ODBC connection works fine if I run it in the foreground using MS
> Query, but I always get the following error message when I try to run it
> through the Web Server:

> Error Performing Query
> [State=01000][Error=53][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
> Driver][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).
> [State=08001][Error=6][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
> Driver][dbnmpntw]Specified SQL server not found.

> Any Ideas?

> Victor Silva
> MCI Telecommunications

Absolutely.  Been there, bitten by that.  Burried somewhere in the docs
(and I wish I could find it again) is the information that you have to
use SYSDSNs not the other kind of ODBC sources.  Create a SYSDSN with
the same name and that way either access will work fine.

-----Burton