ODBC Timeout Expired

Post by Battybo » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:05:10

Hi,

We have a webserver with a odbc connection to a sql
server. We are experiencing timeout expired errors on the
web servers.

I am testing the odbc connection and the connections is
very unstabil. sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it
failes.

w2k servers with sp2
sql 2000
mdac 2.7

ODBC Timeout Expired

Post by Chri » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:30:00

I'm having the same problem... check out my post over in
microsoft.public.sqlserver.odbc "Sql2000 Fast Timeout/MDAC upgrade."
Perhaps there's an answer out there, somewhere...

Quote:> Hi,

> We have a webserver with a odbc connection to a sql
> server. We are experiencing timeout expired errors on the
> web servers.

> I am testing the odbc connection and the connections is
> very unstabil. sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it
> failes.

> w2k servers with sp2
> sql 2000
> mdac 2.7

ODBC Timeout Expired

Post by [MS] Eric Ya » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:31:30

Hello,

The problem may be caused by the network instability. You can check the
local area network by network monitor.
I hope the following article could be of some help to you.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q148/9/42.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q294/8/18.asp

In addition, you can try increasing the query and login Timeout Parameter
on the server.
Go to Enterprise Manager, from the tool bar in Enterprise manager click on
'Tools', then click 'Options...' in the options window, go to the 'Advanced
tab' in SQL
2000 and change the 'Login time-out' to 120 and 'Query time-out' to 0.

If the above methods don't work, please check the MDAC versions on the SQL
Server and web server. Make sure they are the same versions. (Search for
ODBC32.dll that should be located in 'winnt\system32'. Right click on the
odbc32.dll, and go to its properties and then check the version. Download
the identical or the latest MDAC versions from www.micrsoft.com\data.)

Sincerely,

Eric Yang [MS]
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This is our online
account name for newsgroup participation only.
This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. Error: ODBC: timeout expired

my config:
Server: SQL Server 2000 SP3 on NT4 Server
Client: MDAC 2.71 on NT4 SP6a WS with IE6

I got big problems with my SQL server:
my clients software can nearly never connect to one of my server.
those clients are VB6 softwares with OLEDB connections, Access 97 databases
with ODBC linked tables and ... even the SEM software and the query analyser
! ! !

the message is:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

i found some answers on VB or Access problems (by changing the
commandtimeout value)... but i have no idea explaining the problem for the
"SQL Server softwares" bugs

Of course, last week everthing was OK and there has not been any changes on
the server explaining this problem.

Can someone help me ?...

2. Job opportunity for FOXPRO PROGRAMMERS IN Hong kong.

3. ODBC Timeout Expired

4. Needed!!! Internet and Local Database, with full text searching

5. ODBC TIMEOUT EXPIRED

6. hang system and RDA

7. ODBC Timeout Expired

8. GA-ATLANTA-86286--ORACLE-DBA Skills-SQL-Informix-UNIX-Oracle DBA

9. Odbc Timeout expired error

10. ODBC TIMEOUT EXPIRED ERROR

11. ODBC Timeout Expired with VInterDev

12. ODBC Timeout Expired

13. ODBC timeout expiring (Access97 > SQL Server 6.5