Copy entire database to remote machine

Post by Pete Wielan » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:04:14

Hi,

I am new to SQL server, and I have just upsized my Access
frontend/backend databases. I used to be able to copy the
backend Access file and take it home on a removable hard
drive and use the data for offline development. Is there a
way to do this with SQL server? I have SQL Server personal
installed on my home PC, and I know I can use DTS to copy
a database to another server, but as far as I can see, the
remote server needs to be online.

Any help appreciated

Pete

Copy entire database to remote machine

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:52:14

Assuming you have the same versions on both the easiest way is probably to
just do a full backup  on one and restore it on the other.  Here are some
links that may be of interest here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546     Moving
DB's between Servers
Q246133   INF: How To Transfer Logins and Passwords Between SQL Servers
Q298897   Mapping Logins & SIDs after a Restore
Q168001   PRB: User Logon and/or Permission Errors After Restoring Dump
Q240872   How to Resolve Permission Issues When a Database Is Moved Between
SQL Servers

Q224071   INF: Moving SQL Server Databases to a New Location with
Detach/Attach

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/scriptdetails.asp?scriptid=599
Restoring a .mdf

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi,

> I am new to SQL server, and I have just upsized my Access
> frontend/backend databases. I used to be able to copy the
> backend Access file and take it home on a removable hard
> drive and use the data for offline development. Is there a
> way to do this with SQL server? I have SQL Server personal
> installed on my home PC, and I know I can use DTS to copy
> a database to another server, but as far as I can see, the
> remote server needs to be online.

> Any help appreciated

> Pete

Copy entire database to remote machine

Post by Peter Wielan » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:59:29

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I had tried it with
backup/restore, but got stuck with users and logins, so
the articles you refered to should help.

I thought there would have been a more elegant way of
doing it with DTS. A single click at the end of day to be
able to take the data home would be nice!

Pete

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Assuming you have the same versions on both the easiest
way is probably to
>just do a full backup  on one and restore it on the

other.  Here are some
Quote:>links that may be of interest here:

us;Q314546     Moving
Quote:>DB's between Servers
>Q246133   INF: How To Transfer Logins and Passwords
Between SQL Servers
>Q298897   Mapping Logins & SIDs after a Restore
>Q168001   PRB: User Logon and/or Permission Errors After
Restoring Dump
>Q240872   How to Resolve Permission Issues When a

Database Is Moved Between
>SQL Servers

>Q224071   INF: Moving SQL Server Databases to a New
Location with
>Detach/Attach

>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/scriptdetails.asp?
scriptid=599
>Restoring a .mdf

>--

>Andrew J. Kelly
>SQL Server MVP

>> Hi,

>> I am new to SQL server, and I have just upsized my
Access
>> frontend/backend databases. I used to be able to copy
the
>> backend Access file and take it home on a removable hard
>> drive and use the data for offline development. Is
there a
>> way to do this with SQL server? I have SQL Server
personal
>> installed on my home PC, and I know I can use DTS to
copy
>> a database to another server, but as far as I can see,
the
>> remote server needs to be online.

>> Any help appreciated

>> Pete

>.

Copy entire database to remote machine

Post by crjone » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 05:04:52

Actually,

If you can take the database offline for a sec,
Do a Detach,
You can then copy the entire *_DATA.MDF and *_LOG.LDF
files (for your project),
Zip'm up, send'm home, and reattach on the home server.
Works great and I do it all the time.
Faster than making a backup.
(Don't forget to re-attach when done!)

-crj

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I am new to SQL server, and I have just upsized my Access
>frontend/backend databases. I used to be able to copy the
>backend Access file and take it home on a removable hard
>drive and use the data for offline development. Is there
>way to do this with SQL server? I have SQL Server
personal
>installed on my home PC, and I know I can use DTS to copy
>a database to another server, but as far as I can see,
the
>remote server needs to be online.

>Any help appreciated

>Pete
>.

Copy entire database to remote machine

Post by Pete Wielan » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 20:20:49

CRJ,

Thanks, that sounds more like it! I'll give it go tonight,
so I can work over the weekend.

Pete

Quote:>-----Original Message-----