DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by dexia » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:25:07

I have a DTS package created with DTS wizard to import a flat file to a table.
This DTS saved as a file and I called it on an ASP page, it work fine on my box
with windows 2000 and SQL 7.0 SP2. But it dosen' work on my client box, that is
windows 98 and MSDE and Personal Web Server.  I've checked the version with

DTS package is right(delete rows, import flat file, use (local) for destination).
I got a message "Type mismatch" on first step(delete rows). What is wrong, please
help.

My ASP code like:

        Set oPackage = Server.CreateObject("DTS.Package")
        oPackage.LoadFromstorageFile "C:\I\zzzx9.dts","","","",sTable,""
        oPackage.Execute()

I have an old DTS package(created by other guy) it work fine on clinet box. I
open it to check and it is the same as mine. I also tried to use password on my
package, it dosen't work too.

I have been working on this for  two days. I really appreciate anyone who can
help.

Thanks.

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by dexia » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:47:55

I found "Type mismatch" was caused by function call at error handler. I still
don't know why it fail to run DTS.
My error handler like:
sMessage=""
        lErrNum=0
        sSource=""
        sDescr=""
        For i = 1 To oPackage.Steps.Count
        If oPackage.Steps(i).ExecutionResult <> DTSStepExecResult_Success Then
        oPackage.Steps(i).GetExecutionErrorInfo Clng(lErrNum), cStr(sSource), cStr
(sDescr)
                        sMessage = sMessage & vbCrLf & _
                         "Step " & oPackage.Steps(i).name & " failed, error: " & _
                        sErrorNumConv(lErrNum) & vbCrLf & sDescr & vbCrLf
                        iStatus =False  'error happened
                        Exit For
                End If
        Next

I put CLng, CStr when I run GetExecuteErrorInfo. No more "Type mismatch", but
still got "Step Delete from table [IDrive].[dba][HondaPlusPrograms] step failed,
error: x0, 0."

Thanks.

.

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by Darren Gree » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:15:28

Quote:>I found "Type mismatch" was caused by function call at error handler. I still
>don't know why it fail to run DTS.
>My error handler like:
>sMessage=""
>       lErrNum=0
>       sSource=""
>       sDescr=""
>       For i = 1 To oPackage.Steps.Count
>       If oPackage.Steps(i).ExecutionResult <> DTSStepExecResult_Success Then
>       oPackage.Steps(i).GetExecutionErrorInfo Clng(lErrNum), cStr(sSource),
>cStr
>(sDescr)
>                       sMessage = sMessage & vbCrLf & _
>                         "Step " & oPackage.Steps(i).name & " failed, error: " &
>_
>                       sErrorNumConv(lErrNum) & vbCrLf & sDescr & vbCrLf
>                       iStatus =False  'error happened
>                       Exit For
>               End If
>       Next

>I put CLng, CStr when I run GetExecuteErrorInfo. No more "Type mismatch", but
>still got "Step Delete from table [IDrive].[dba][HondaPlusPrograms] step failed,
>error: x0, 0."

>Thanks.

The GetExecutionErrorInfo uses ByRef variables of type other than
variant, hence it is worthless in VBScript. Using the type conversion
functions just suppresses the errors. You'll notice that you never
actually use lErrNum etc.

I suspect you got this from an old version of Q252987, but if you'll
notice it has now been updated-
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q252/9/87.asp

To use GetExecutionErrorInfo you must be using a strong type capable
language such as VB, C++ etc.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by dexia » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:02:19

Darren,

Thank you for your help.

But why the DTS failed at first step? I re-post my question as bellow:

Post by Darren Gree » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:41:05

>Darren,

>Thank you for your help.

>But why the DTS failed at first step? I re-post my question as bellow:

>I have a DTS package created with DTS wizard to import a flat file to a table.
>This DTS saved as a file and I called it on an ASP page, it work fine on my box
>with windows 2000 and SQL 7.0 SP2. But it dosen' work on my client box, that is
>windows 98 and MSDE and Personal Web Server.  I've checked the version with

>DTS package is right(delete rows, import flat file, use (local) for
>destination).

I really need an error message to be sure. Try turning on the package
error log file (Package Properties).
The one thing that comes to mind is the limitation of Win9x not
supporting integrated security so make sure your connection does not use
this.

If this does not help check out the limitations of Win9X systems in
Books Online. I so rarely use them I cannot remember any others.
--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by dexia » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:00:28

Darren,

I 've installed SP3 on my win2000 and client win98 + msde box. I created a DTS
with
unchecked "use SQL Server 2000 encryption". I turned on error log file. The error
loged as below:

The execution of the following DTS Package failed:

Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Error Description:Package failed because Step 'Delete from Table [IDrive].[dbo].
[HondaPlusPrograms] Step' failed.
Error code: 80040428
Error Help File:sqldts.hlp
Error Help Context ID:700

Package Name: HondaPlusPrograms
Package Description: DTS package description
Package ID: {3F13DE17-3EBD-4F07-B382-8C1F2010B42F}
Package Version: {25F27BB0-4B43-41EA-B004-5FD096C4782B}
Package Execution Lineage: {56D59A78-72E5-4F61-A99F-BB15A437809E}
Executed On: IDRIVE
Executed By: dexianx
Execution Started: 2001/04/23 10:28:21
Execution Completed: 2001/04/23 10:28:21

Package Steps execution information:

Step 'Delete from Table [IDrive].[dbo].[HondaPlusPrograms] Step' failed

Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Step Error Description:The property 'Use Encryption for Data' is not supported.
(Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB
operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work
was done.)
Step Error code: 80040E21
Step Error Help File:sqldts.hlp
Step Error Help Context ID:1100

Step 'Copy Data from HondaPlusPrograms to [IDrive].[dbo].[HondaPlusPrograms]
Step' was not executed
******************

As the old DTS could run on this win98 box, so we should have some way to make it
work?

I also tried to set "persist security info" to 0 on Connection 2(last step), it
didn't worked.

Thanks./Dexian

>But why the DTS failed at first step? I re-post my question as bellow:

>I have a DTS package created with DTS wizard to import a flat file to a table.
>This DTS saved as a file and I called it on an ASP page, it work fine on my box
>with windows 2000 and SQL 7.0 SP2. But it dosen' work on my client box, that is
>windows 98 and MSDE and Personal Web Server.  I've checked the version with

>DTS package is right(delete rows, import flat file, use (local) for
>destination).

I really need an error message to be sure. Try turning on the package
error log file (Package Properties).
The one thing that comes to mind is the limitation of Win9x not
supporting integrated security so make sure your connection does not use
this.

If this does not help check out the limitations of Win9X systems in
Books Online. I so rarely use them I cannot remember any others.
--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/
.

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by Darren Gree » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:23:41

<snip>
Quote:

>Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
>Step Error Description:The property 'Use Encryption for Data' is not supported.
>(Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB
>operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No
>work
>was done.)

The "Use Encryption for Data" option can be set from the connection, see
the "Advanced" properties sheet.

Never noticed it before, or had any problems with it either. Try setting
it to 0 for the connection that the Exec SQL Task is using.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

DTS Package doesn't work on Win98,MSDE,PWS

Post by dexia » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:04:50

Darren,

I really appreciate your help. I've solved the problem. I got a new hard disk and
only installed win 2000 and SQL Server 7 and SP2. I created the DTS, it worked on
win 98, MSDE. So I think it is the other software installation changed the Dll
used for DTS? But that time I 've unstalled SQL Server and reinstalled it.

Maybe I 've installed microsoft.net? It took so long time to update components.

Thanks you again./Dex

>Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
>Step Error Description:The property 'Use Encryption for Data' is not supported.
>(Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB
>operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No
>work
>was done.)
The "Use Encryption for Data" option can be set from the connection, see
the "Advanced" properties sheet.

Never noticed it before, or had any problems with it either. Try setting
it to 0 for the connection that the Exec SQL Task is using.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/
.

1. DTS package doesn't work when scheduled

I've put together a DTS package that:

a) checks that a couple of text files exist, using an ActiveX Script Task

b) imports the text files into an SQL database.

c) updates an OLAP cube

d) renames the text files out of the way, ready for the next lot of files.
This is done using an ActiveX Script Task.

This works perfectly if I run the package directly (logged in as
administrator). However, when the task is run under a schedule, it always
fails at step (d) with an access violation. The files and the holding
directory all give full control to everyone and everything as far as I can
see. The SQL Server Agent is running as administrator.

This is the script that I'm using:

 fso.MoveFile "c:\ftproot\ukstats.txt", "c:\ftproot\ukstats.old"

The destination file (ukstats.old) does not exist.

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?

--Philip

2. Eliminating Duplicate rows

3. DTS package scheduling doesn't work - why???

4. Can anyone please explain these .LCK files ?

5. Scheduling DTS doesn't fail but doesn't work

6. Has anyone used oraworld.com?

7. Scheduling DTS Packages - it doesn't work

8. Clearing a ListView... taking forever!

9. DTS Package On Fail Event doesn't work

10. Query works in SQL Query Analyzer but doesn't work in DTS

11. DTS works fine but it doesn't work when scheduling

12. ADO Doesn't Work in Win98

13. MMC in win98 doesn't work!!Urgent