DTS Designer question

Post by Leo Dharmawa » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have a question about flow control logic in DTS designer. I have
created 2
data loader task, one as a transform task and another as data driven
query
task. There is On-Failure constraint between the first and the second,
basically I set it up so that if the first task fails, then the second
one
will run (they are doing the same thing, that is loading a particluar
dimension table). Now, I want to set-up On-Success (or On-Completion)
constraints from these two tasks to a load data mart fact table task,
but this seems
impossible because all the constraint conditions have to be satisfied
(DTS
desinger uses AND logic); and thus I can't satisfy the conditions if
only
either task succeeds (or completes). I do need these On-Success (or
On-Completion) constraints in order for the package to load the
dimension
table first before loading the fact table. Does anybody ever face
similar
problem? Have any tips to get around this?

Thank you very much for your response.

Leo Dharmawan

DTS Designer question

Post by Euan Garde » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi Leo,
This doesn't really answer your question, but we have been doing something
similar.

We use a separate package for each dimension table, this makes debugging
easier. Inside the package we have the same logic as you. We try to see
if a record exists, if it does we update, otherwise we insert. But we do
this by using a DDQ. We use DTSLookUps to see if data exists, you
could use StoredProcs to speed things up.

This way you get a loaded dimension table. You can then write the fact
table load as a separate package and write a single package that loads
them all using DTSRun, this one would be the one with the complex
flow dependencies.

I am sure there are loads of other ways of doing this.

-Euan

Quote:

> I have a question about flow control logic in DTS designer. I have
> created 2
> data loader task, one as a transform task and another as data driven
> query
> task. There is On-Failure constraint between the first and the second,
> basically I set it up so that if the first task fails, then the second
> one
> will run (they are doing the same thing, that is loading a particluar
> dimension table). Now, I want to set-up On-Success (or On-Completion)
> constraints from these two tasks to a load data mart fact table task,
> but this seems
> impossible because all the constraint conditions have to be satisfied
> (DTS
> desinger uses AND logic); and thus I can't satisfy the conditions if
> only
> either task succeeds (or completes). I do need these On-Success (or
> On-Completion) constraints in order for the package to load the
> dimension
> table first before loading the fact table. Does anybody ever face
> similar
> problem? Have any tips to get around this?

> Thank you very much for your response.

> Leo Dharmawan

DTS Designer question

Post by Leo Dharmawa » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for the tip. I have been considering doing something similar.

> Hi Leo,
> This doesn't really answer your question, but we have been doing something
> similar.

> We use a separate package for each dimension table, this makes debugging
> easier. Inside the package we have the same logic as you. We try to see
> if a record exists, if it does we update, otherwise we insert. But we do
> this by using a DDQ. We use DTSLookUps to see if data exists, you
> could use StoredProcs to speed things up.

> This way you get a loaded dimension table. You can then write the fact
> table load as a separate package and write a single package that loads
> them all using DTSRun, this one would be the one with the complex
> flow dependencies.

> I am sure there are loads of other ways of doing this.

> -Euan

> > I have a question about flow control logic in DTS designer. I have
> > created 2
> > data loader task, one as a transform task and another as data driven
> > query
> > task. There is On-Failure constraint between the first and the second,
> > basically I set it up so that if the first task fails, then the second
> > one
> > will run (they are doing the same thing, that is loading a particluar
> > dimension table). Now, I want to set-up On-Success (or On-Completion)
> > constraints from these two tasks to a load data mart fact table task,
> > but this seems
> > impossible because all the constraint conditions have to be satisfied
> > (DTS
> > desinger uses AND logic); and thus I can't satisfy the conditions if
> > only
> > either task succeeds (or completes). I do need these On-Success (or
> > On-Completion) constraints in order for the package to load the
> > dimension
> > table first before loading the fact table. Does anybody ever face
> > similar
> > problem? Have any tips to get around this?

> > Thank you very much for your response.

> > Leo Dharmawan

1. DTS Designer Question

Hello,

I am using the Data Transformation Services Wizard to create a
transformation package to transfer data from Sybase to SQL Server 7.0.  This
seems to work fine and it has options to save in three formats -
SQL Server, Repository, or to File.

My question is how do I edit this transformation package to make changes?

I tried using DTS designer and I can't seem to get back to the underlying
code that I generated from the DTS Wizard.  DTS Wizard allows you to edit
the VBScript to make special function calls, etc.  I can't see how to edit
this data no matter which format I use.

Where can I edit and save the VBScript within DTS Designer?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Dave

2. Data encryption

3. Register DTS custom task without DTS Designer

4. Crystal Reports parameters for stored procedures

5. No DTS task in DTS Designer

6. VB 5 through to Pervasive

7. Problem with DTS Designer

8. Open items

9. Cross transformations and where to find DTS Designer?

10. DTS Designer Error

11. DTS Designer error

12. DTS Designer & ORACLE