Removing the lag from SQL 2000 backups in the background

Removing the lag from SQL 2000 backups in the background

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:24:11

I was about to recommend that you do backups nightly and transaction log backups during the day -- until I read your last sentence.

How about upgrading to SCSI disks?

We had a small 600MB database on a desktop box (with an IDE drive) for testing purposes a while back.  When a backup was issued the CPU utilization jumped to 90% or better until the backup finished.  Luckily, we were not running production on this box.

If purchasing a real disk subsystem (SCSI) is not possible, perhaps you could get another disk drive (and maybe an IDE controller card) and try backing up to the new disk.

If this still does not work for you, I recommend that you consider nightly backups and transaction log backups every x interval (30 or 60 minutes) during the day.

Yeah, you may have a training issue to deal with -- but this is easy enough.  And if you can tell them that their options (1) are suffer every hour when a backup happens or (2) learn how to restore the transaction logs, I am guessing that they will choose option (2).

Finally, how often would they need to restore the database anyway?  Shouldn't the answer be "never?"

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP