?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

Post by William » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I am coding a VB project which queries a database (SQL server). It worked
well at first. But now there are about 5 million recodes in the table which
is queried. The query often is stopped and show a window:' [microsoft][ODBC
SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired ' . The surprise is that it stopped at
different point (in the VB code) and used different time when I used the
same query. Some time, it work well on the query. (PC/NT/SQL
Server7.0/VB6.0) Please help!

Thank you very much!

Williams

?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

Post by Trey Johnso » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Watch the cross posts....People generally get offended if you spam all of
the SQL Server newsgroups.

Look into the indexing on the table and examine the performance of your
query within the query analyzer.  You will want to insure that your query
does the following:
- Is selective in its criteria (i.e. should return a small number of records
with your WHERE argument)
-The criteria enforces the query's use of an index ( see showplan in Books
On-Line)
- The statistics for the table(simply put, how the index is distributed
across your data) has been updated (see update statistics in Books On-Line)
upon the addition of new data

If you start with the above you will likely, see a fair amount of
improvement.

Trey Johnson

Quote:> Hello,

> I am coding a VB project which queries a database (SQL server). It worked
> well at first. But now there are about 5 million recodes in the table
which
> is queried. The query often is stopped and show a window:'
[microsoft][ODBC
> SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired ' . The surprise is that it stopped at
> different point (in the VB code) and used different time when I used the
> same query. Some time, it work well on the query. (PC/NT/SQL
> Server7.0/VB6.0) Please help!

> Thank you very much!

> Williams

?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

Post by PCWAL » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You can also try explicitly setting the timeout property value within your
database connection in VB.  Most people don't specify the timeout property
thus the default is used.  I think ADO is 30 seconds.

1. SQL 2000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

I have been using my SQL DB for a while now.. it is fairly large, but
gets cleaned out all the time.. (Records are removed every 3 months)

Also, records are query and added to parts of the DB from 8 AM to 9 PM
everyday - so there is quite a load on the server.

Anyway, just recently I have started recieveing this message:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

When I query directly from SQL Enterprise Manager and from an ASP
based form that I created.

What could have caused this, and how can I fix it?

All info appreciated.

2. Need help using bookmarks

3. java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

4. How to capture when records is changed

5. S1T00: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout Expired

6. Identity Number of Newly Inserted Row

7. Warning State: S1T00,Native:0, Origin: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] timeout expired

8. setting up replication between two firewall

9. Status no 2147217871 (Microsoft) (ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER) timeout expired

10. Help! [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

11. Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout Expired

12. Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired

13. S1T00[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired