Server: Msg 6833 Using FOR XML EXPLICIT

Post by Mike Kansk » Fri, 11 May 2001 23:33:44

This Message i'm getting only if resultset is more then 1 record. If there
is only one record in resultset the XML is constructed without any error
using FOR XML EXPLICIT.

What this message really means?

"Parent tag ID 5 is not among the open tags. FOR XML EXPLICIT requires
parent tags to be opened first. Check the ordering of the result set."

Server: Msg 6833 Using FOR XML EXPLICIT

Post by Roger Wolte » Fri, 11 May 2001 23:49:33

That means you're getting rows in the wrong order - you need to add order-by
clauses to get the rows presented in the order they will appear in the XML
output.

Quote:> This Message i'm getting only if resultset is more then 1 record. If there
> is only one record in resultset the XML is constructed without any error
> using FOR XML EXPLICIT.

> What this message really means?

> "Parent tag ID 5 is not among the open tags. FOR XML EXPLICIT requires
> parent tags to be opened first. Check the ordering of the result set."

1. Help : 6833 error with for xml explicit

Hi all

I am getting the error below.

Server: Msg 6833, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Parent tag ID 5 is not among the open tags. FOR XML EXPLICIT requires parent tags to be opened first. Check the ordering of the result set.

The only info I have been able to find on the web suggests that this error occurs if the ordering of the query is wrong or if a null is used in a subquery on a field used to join tables in that subquery. I dont have this circumstance with my code however and the ordering appears to me to be correct.

Heres my code:

select distinct
 1 as Tag,
 0 as Parent,
 Item.fldLabel as [Item!1!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!2!fldLabel],
 null as [Item!3!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!4!fldLabel],
 null as [Item!5!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!6!fldLabel]
from
 DiagOk as Item
where
 Item.fldTierId = 1
union
 all
select distinct
 2 as Tag,
 1 as Parent,
 null,
 Menu.fldLabel as [Menu!2!fldLabel],
 null,
 null,
 null,
 null
from
 DiagOk as h1,
 DiagOk as Menu
where
 h1.fldTierId = 1
and
 h1.fldId = Menu.fldId
union
 all
select distinct
 3 as Tag,
 2 as Parent,
 null,
 null,
 Item.fldLabel as [Item!3!fldLabel],
 null,
 null,
 null
from
 DiagOk as Item,
 DiagOk as h1
where
 Item.fldTierId = 2
and
 h1.fldId = Item.fldParentId
union
 all
select distinct
 4 as Tag,
 3 as Parent,
 null,
 null,
 null,
 Menu.fldLabel as [Menu!4!fldLabel],
 null,
 null
from
 DiagOk as h1,
 DiagOk as Menu
where
 h1.fldTierId = 2
and
 h1.fldId = Menu.fldId
union
 all
select distinct
 5 as Tag,
 4 as Parent,
 null as [Item!1!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!2!fldLabel],
 null as [Item!3!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!4!fldLabel],
 Item.fldLabel as [Item!5!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!6!fldLabel]
from
 DiagOk as Item,
 DiagOk as h1
where
 Item.fldTierId = 3
and
 h1.fldId = Item.fldParentId
union
 all
select distinct
 6 as Tag,
 5 as Parent,
 null as [Item!1!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!2!fldLabel],
 null as [Item!3!fldLabel],
 null as [Menu!4!fldLabel],
 null as [Item!5!fldLabel],
 Menu.fldLabel as [Menu!6!fldLabel]
from
 DiagOk as h1,
 DiagOk as Menu
where
 h1.fldTierId = 3
and
 h1.fldId = Menu.fldId
order by
 [Item!1!fldLabel],
 [Menu!2!fldLabel],
 [Item!3!fldLabel],
 [Menu!4!fldLabel],
 [Item!5!fldLabel],
 [Menu!6!fldLabel]
for
 xml explicit

2. ORACLE 6.0 Questions

3. Generating Schema compliant XML from SQL Server Database using SQLXML and XML Explicit -- [Performance/Maintenance issues]

4. How To Change server and Database for DataEnv Connection

5. SQL XML Stored Procedure using XML Explicit Returing XML to ASP Page

6. Installing IDSmail activex on users machine

7. Q: Hiding/not showing a column in the resulting xml using xml explicit

8. how do you open a database through tcp/ip preferably dsn-less?

9. problem in creating XML using For XML explicit

10. Facing problem in creating XML using FOR XML EXPLICIT

11. SQL Server 2K, XML/XSL for Explicit problem with passing XML paramters values

12. 6833 error message

13. Broken XML when running queries with FOR XML AUTO and FOR XML EXPLICIT