SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Joan » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00



I and a staff of 2 need some SQL 7.0 training.  We're developers with the
bare minimum experience with SQL.  I am shopping for classes in Bellevue or
Seattle, or recommendations on video training.

Would like classes aimed at developers.  I've reviewed the course offered by
AppDev, and understand their classes are lecture only.  I'm looking for
hands-on training.

Anybody have a moment to offer some advice?

Thanks in advance,
joan

 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Itzik Ben-Ga » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Check out http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/train_cert/catalog/findcrse.asp

--
Itzik Ben-Gan MCSE+I, MCSD, M(-:DBA, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Hi-Tech College, ISRAEL.

"Wisdom is putting knowledge into action."
Bubishi

Quote:> I and a staff of 2 need some SQL 7.0 training.  We're developers with the
> bare minimum experience with SQL.  I am shopping for classes in Bellevue
or
> Seattle, or recommendations on video training.

> Would like classes aimed at developers.  I've reviewed the course offered
by
> AppDev, and understand their classes are lecture only.  I'm looking for
> hands-on training.

> Anybody have a moment to offer some advice?

> Thanks in advance,
> joan


 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Joan » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Thanks, but I've been to the web site.  Would like to get some
recommendations from satisfied purchasers.


> Check out http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/train_cert/catalog/findcrse.asp

> --
> Itzik Ben-Gan MCSE+I, MCSD, M(-:DBA, MCT, SQL Server MVP

> Hi-Tech College, ISRAEL.

> "Wisdom is putting knowledge into action."
> Bubishi


> > I and a staff of 2 need some SQL 7.0 training.  We're developers with
the
> > bare minimum experience with SQL.  I am shopping for classes in Bellevue
> or
> > Seattle, or recommendations on video training.

> > Would like classes aimed at developers.  I've reviewed the course
offered
> by
> > AppDev, and understand their classes are lecture only.  I'm looking for
> > hands-on training.

> > Anybody have a moment to offer some advice?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > joan

 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Itzik Ben-Ga » Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:00:00


I'll let others recommend on the client application side, because I'm more
involved in the server side. First off all, understanding the server side
is, in my opinion, vital for efficient client application development. There
are so many things you can do, and so many round trips you can save yourself
with efficient server side planning. I strongly recommend the book "Inside
SQL Server 7.0" by Kalen Delaney, and also, participating in an
"Implementing a Database Design on Microsoft SQL Server 7.0" course (code
1833B). Maybe Tibor or Dejan can pop in and give you some recommendations on
client side programming.
If you are involved in OLAP as well, I recommend "Designing and Implementing
a Data Warehouse Using Microsoft SQL Server 7.0" (code 1502B) which involves
both server and client sides. I teach both courses among many others, and
both of these are my favorite simply because they are so good.

HTH
--
Itzik Ben-Gan MCSE+I, MCSD, M(-:DBA, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Hi-Tech College, ISRAEL.

"Wisdom is putting knowledge into action."
Bubishi


> Thanks, but I've been to the web site.  Would like to get some
> recommendations from satisfied purchasers.



> > Check out http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/train_cert/catalog/findcrse.asp

> > --
> > Itzik Ben-Gan MCSE+I, MCSD, M(-:DBA, MCT, SQL Server MVP

> > Hi-Tech College, ISRAEL.

> > "Wisdom is putting knowledge into action."
> > Bubishi


> > > I and a staff of 2 need some SQL 7.0 training.  We're developers with
> the
> > > bare minimum experience with SQL.  I am shopping for classes in
Bellevue
> > or
> > > Seattle, or recommendations on video training.

> > > Would like classes aimed at developers.  I've reviewed the course
> offered
> > by
> > > AppDev, and understand their classes are lecture only.  I'm looking
for
> > > hands-on training.

> > > Anybody have a moment to offer some advice?

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > joan

 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Dejan Sark » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Joan, Itzik, hi!

I think Joan is seeking for a MS CTEC in Bellevue or Seattle. I agree with
Itzik about course selection. There was another one usefule course #939 -
Developing Client/Server Applications for Microsoft SQL Server, but it deals
with SQL 6.5 and VB 5.0. Because of many changes (VB 6.0, SQL 7.0, ADO, OLE
DB ...) I don't think this course is still worth visiting. This course won't
be replaced with new one, so I suggest to select some of dev. courses, many
of them come in "Mastering" series. For reading there is a bestseller
"Hitchiker's Guide to Visual Basic & SQL Server" by William R. Vaughn.

BTW, I'm also training all SQL Server courses, so if Joan insists on
Bellevue, we have hotel Bellevue in Ljubljana, Slovenia ...

And I suppose we can all meet on PTO course T-Prep (hope we'll be all there)
in Bellevue, WA ...

Dejan Sarka,
Repro MS,
Ljubljana, Slovenia

 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Joan » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Itzik Ben-Gan  and Dejan

Thank you both very much for your help.  I'll be looking into your
suggestions.  How's the weather in Slovenia ???

Joan


Quote:> Joan, Itzik, hi!

> I think Joan is seeking for a MS CTEC in Bellevue or Seattle. I agree with
> Itzik about course selection. There was another one usefule course #939 -
> Developing Client/Server Applications for Microsoft SQL Server, but it
deals
> with SQL 6.5 and VB 5.0. Because of many changes (VB 6.0, SQL 7.0, ADO,
OLE
> DB ...) I don't think this course is still worth visiting. This course
won't
> be replaced with new one, so I suggest to select some of dev. courses,
many
> of them come in "Mastering" series. For reading there is a bestseller
> "Hitchiker's Guide to Visual Basic & SQL Server" by William R. Vaughn.

> BTW, I'm also training all SQL Server courses, so if Joan insists on
> Bellevue, we have hotel Bellevue in Ljubljana, Slovenia ...

> And I suppose we can all meet on PTO course T-Prep (hope we'll be all
there)
> in Bellevue, WA ...

> Dejan Sarka,
> Repro MS,
> Ljubljana, Slovenia

 
 
 

SQL 7.0 Training Recommendations

Post by Dejan Sark » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Joan,

Quote:>How's the weather in Slovenia ???

a little bit crazy. Two days ago there was 30 degrees Celsius, but yesterday
colled down and we have today snow in the mountains ...

Dejan Sarka