DB-Library error Net_Lib error : -1

Post by Adrian Thomso » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm upgrading a product which interfaces to SQL server. It has reported the
following error:

DB-Library error - Severity: 5, NetLib error: -1, oserrstr(null)
General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL server.

What would cause this error? Is it something that is temporary and can be
resolved by attempting the function again (it happens only twice), or is it
something worse? Theres nothing reported in SQL server error log, and theres
nothing in event viewer.

As I do not have access to the source, I cannot find where in the
application this is being caused. Everything seems to work ok after this -
the product does not report any errors. If I can find out the potential
severity of this, then I can at least escalate it to the right level - if
its nothing to worry about, then its low priority etc.

Running SQL Server 6.5 SP 5a on NT Server 4.0 SP5

Thanks,

Adrian.
--
Adrian Thomson, WRDC Ltd, LEEDS, UK

DB-Library error Net_Lib error : -1

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Adrian - definitely a weird one.  Does SQL Trace show anything connecting at
the time?  You'll probably need to call it in to MS PSS

Q.  Who are Microsoft Product Support Services and how do I contact them?
(v1.2  1999.12.16)

A.  These are people who support all MS's products, write fixes, take the
calls, sort out workarounds etc.  They work 24x7x365.  You can call them by
phone (U.S. is 1-800-936-3500)

For details of your nearest PSS support centre and other info try :-

       http://support.microsoft.com/support/supportnet/default.asp
   http://www.microsoft.com/support/customer/itpro.htm

To report on the Web :-

   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/incident.htm
   http://support.microsoft.com/support/webresponse.asp

All incidents are chargeable either to your credit card or an existing account.
 The charge WILL be re-imbursed if the problem turns out to be an MS bug, or a
feature that hasn't been publicly documented.  The person answering the phone
cannot know it's a bug, so they have to take details of your credit card before
passing you on to a technician.  When the call is closed the technician decides
whether to mark the call as "free" in which case you get a refund
automatically.  (Same for Web incidents)

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (386 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk