Replicating an entire database

Post by Ian Wyl » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:39:40

I have been told that we intend to use replication to maintain a copy of our
entire database.
This is being done partially as a backup but also to provide a copy of live
data on which reports
and ad hoc querys created by users can be run.

Our live database is reasonablely well used.

What are the implications of replicating the entire database?

Regards
Ian Wyld

Replicating an entire database

Post by Ian Wyl » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:42:38

We are running SQL Server 7.0 by the way

Quote:> I have been told that we intend to use replication to maintain a copy of
our
> entire database.
> This is being done partially as a backup but also to provide a copy of
live
> data on which reports
> and ad hoc querys created by users can be run.

> Our live database is reasonablely well used.

> What are the implications of replicating the entire database?

> Regards
> Ian Wyld

Replicating an entire database

Post by Stride » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:50:09

Quote:> We are running SQL Server 7.0 by the way

Making changes to the schema becomes a royal PITA.

This is one area that SQL 2000 is much better at.

We routinely do this.  Keep in mind, replication is NOT instaneous.  It can
be delayed by a noticable amount.

So you wouldn't want say clients reading financial data reading the
replicated database.

Other than that, I like it.

> > I have been told that we intend to use replication to maintain a copy of
> our
> > entire database.
> > This is being done partially as a backup but also to provide a copy of
> live
> > data on which reports
> > and ad hoc querys created by users can be run.

> > Our live database is reasonablely well used.

> > What are the implications of replicating the entire database?

> > Regards
> > Ian Wyld

1. Moving a Access replicated database to a MSDE replicated database

Hello everybody,

I'm in trouble with SQL Server/Access Merge Replication. When the
syncronization takes place and the changes in the Access are being
uploaded to the SQL Server database, the error "Overflow" occurs.

I don't know what is happening, the replication betweenn SQL Server and
Access has a lot of bugs. I want to move the Access database to a MSDE
database. Do you know how can I do that?

Thanks.

Sergio Paro.

2. exception dispatches/sec

3. i restored one replicated database in another replicated db, and now cant delete publishers in EM

4. Quickest way to return records

5. Replicating an Intranet SQL Server database on an Internet Access database

6. How do I check a table before running a job

7. Replicating data from Orcale database to MySQL database.

8. Linux SMP and oracle

9. Problem Replicating SQL Server 2000 Database With Access 2000 Database With Workgroup Information File

10. Replicate Database Schema Changes to multiple databases

11. Replicating Sql Server 6.5 Databases to Rdb/VMS Databases (Version 6.1)

12. Problem Replicating SQL Server 2000 Database With Access 2000 Database With Workgroup