VB6 MTS dll locks up ASP db access after NT4 SP4 VI6 SP1

VB6 MTS dll locks up ASP db access after NT4 SP4 VI6 SP1

Post by Les Caud » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a VB6 dll that lives in MTS that imports 30k records using ADO
2.0 SQL Server 6.5.    It does 100 at a time inside a transaction,
commits, and then sleeps (Sleep Lib "kernel32")  for 1 second - then
starts another transaction untill they are all in.

The class type is 'notAnMtsObject' - I just have it in MTS so that it
would not lock up everything ( I had the same lockup problem before
NT4 SP4 VI6 SP1, and I fixed it by adding the DLL to an MTS component
-

Everything was ok until NT4 SP4 - or VI6 SP1 (one of them caused this
problem).   I could call this dll from an ASP page - and no other
users would notice any effect.

Now, when this is running and I see the progress reported on the ASP
page as each 100 record transaction is committed, no other database
access from ASP will work.  Read-only forward cursors. nothing.

I can use the SQL 6.5 database just fine from the Enterprise manager
while this import is going on.

If I call the dll from a VB6 program, it does NOT lock up all ASP
database access.  It is as if it were not running.

I am stumped on this.  While the DLL is sleeping, there are not open
transactions, only open connections  It should not interfere with
anything else - and does not interfere if called from outside of an
ASP page.

It is an apartment threaded, unattended execution DLL.  Standard
stuff.  Any ideas?

BTW - if it is locking me out, it is also probably locking YOU out but
you won't notice until you have a lot of dll calls taking place on an
active site.  As long as that connection is open in the dll, it is
probably locking you out.
--

1. Install PWS and MTS after NT4 SP4

I would like to install Personal Web Server (PWS), and MTS on my system.

My current configuration (anything relevant) is as follows...
NT 4.0 workstation with 128-bit SP4.
Visual Studio 6,
SQL Server 7 (client and server components)
FrontPage 2000

I loaded the NT4 Option Pack, and was too freigtened by the message from MS
saying that Option Pack is not tested with SP4.

Is the PWS installation on the FrontPage98 CD any safer?  Although, I'm
afraid that it might conflict with my FrontPage 2000 installation.

I've heard that people had problems with their ODBC services after
installing PWS (provided SP4 was installed prior to PWS).

Has anyone successfully installed PWS, and MTS after SP4?

Any opinion is welcomed.

TIA
Wendy

2. Problem with RecordCount

3. VB6 + SP4 error in vb6.dll

4. Connection Pool

5. Replica appears to be password protected while the Design Master is not pw protected when replicating with DAO.

6. getting -2147217887 with NT4 SP4 ADO 2.0 SP1

7. Maths on NULL integer fields in Interbase

8. Cannot install IE4 SP1 on NT4 server SP4

9. NT4 SP4 PLUS SQL6.5 SP1

10. VB6, Access 2000, SP4 and DB with password

11. Q: Raising Exceptions using Informix Stored Procedures, MTS, NT4.0, VB6 Webclasses

12. NTS 3.51,SP4/SQL 6.5,SP1 to NTS 4.0/SQL 6.5,SP1