A real dumb question about sql client.

Post by Yanling Zhan » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 05:14:25

Hi,

I am really a beginner of sql server with a real dumb question.

If we have a computer with a sql server running on it,  then if I want to
access sql server from another computer, what should be installed in the
client computer? The Client version of sql server? Can I access that sql
server via dial-in service of NT?

After setting up the user login account, is the user supposed to login
from anywhere in network?

When you programe with sql server, how do you get access to sql server?

Thank you very much!

Yanling

A real dumb question about sql client.

Post by Max Akba » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:16:10

Quote:>what should be installed in the
> client computer? The Client version of sql server?

Yes install only client on client system to administer SQL Server.

Quote:> After setting up the user login account, is the user supposed to login
> from anywhere in network?

Yes a user can access SQL from any system that can access the server.

Quote:> When you programe with sql server, how do you get access to sql server?

Use ADO.

Good luck,
-Max

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really a beginner of sql server with a real dumb question.

> If we have a computer with a sql server running on it,  then if I want to
> access sql server from another computer, what should be installed in the
> client computer? The Client version of sql server? Can I access that sql
> server via dial-in service of NT?

> After setting up the user login account, is the user supposed to login
> from anywhere in network?

> When you programe with sql server, how do you get access to sql server?

> Thank you very much!

> Yanling

A real dumb question about sql client.

Post by Frank F. Owen II » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:18:42

1.  install client utilities from the sql server disc.  depending on network
config, you should be able to access the sql server via dialup
2.  if you have integrated security on sql server, yes.  if not, a separate
sql login will be required
3.  query analyzer or enterpris manager are both great tools for managing
and querying the sql server.  both are installed as part of the client
utilities.

ffoiii

Quote:> Hi,

> I am really a beginner of sql server with a real dumb question.

> If we have a computer with a sql server running on it,  then if I want to
> access sql server from another computer, what should be installed in the
> client computer? The Client version of sql server? Can I access that sql
> server via dial-in service of NT?

> After setting up the user login account, is the user supposed to login
> from anywhere in network?

> When you programe with sql server, how do you get access to sql server?

> Thank you very much!

> Yanling

A real dumb question about sql client.

Post by Daniel Bus » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:03:33

If all you want to do is query your database & you have Microsoft
Office installed - you can use "msqry32.exe" (usually in "\program
files\common files\microsoft shared\vba"). Just add an ODBC connection
to your SQL Server.

Of course, if you are administering or programming on SQL Server, the
client utils/enterprise manager are a must, as Mr. Owen suggests.

Yes, you can access it via the dial-up. You become part of the network
once you log in via the dialup connection. The trick is here to get
your protocols set up correctly. If your dialup is using netbeui - set
up your SQL Server Client Configuration client library to
Netbeui/named pipes. If your dialup is using TCP/IP then set your
client tools to IP. Of course, make sure your SQL Server is set up to
use the same protocol(s).

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:18:42 GMT, "Frank F. Owen III"

>1.  install client utilities from the sql server disc.  depending on network
>config, you should be able to access the sql server via dialup
>2.  if you have integrated security on sql server, yes.  if not, a separate
>sql login will be required
>3.  query analyzer or enterpris manager are both great tools for managing
>and querying the sql server.  both are installed as part of the client
>utilities.

>ffoiii

>> Hi,

>> I am really a beginner of sql server with a real dumb question.

>> If we have a computer with a sql server running on it,  then if I want to
>> access sql server from another computer, what should be installed in the
>> client computer? The Client version of sql server? Can I access that sql
>> server via dial-in service of NT?

>> After setting up the user login account, is the user supposed to login
>> from anywhere in network?

>> When you programe with sql server, how do you get access to sql server?

>> Thank you very much!

>> Yanling

Dan Bush